Paying Not To Tell

This topic is 2214 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yes verbal contracts exists. And they don’t include everyone’s name. Every time you buy a coffee at Starbucks you enter a sales contract of goods (coffee) and services (making it right for you).

These rarely get disputed in court, because they are not important enough, but when they are disputed, they are still enforceable.

It is not what lawyers recommend though, for obvious reasons.

See here: https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-contracts-forms/what-contracts-are-required-to-be-in-writing.html

Well... exactly. So how on Earth would you prove that in court then? What's the point? It is your word against his that there was a verbal contract.... ?!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes verbal contracts exists. And they don’t include everyone’s name. Every time you buy a coffee at Starbucks you enter a sales contract of goods (coffee) and services (making it right for you).

These rarely get disputed in court, because they are not important enough, but when they are disputed, they are still enforceable.

It is not what lawyers recommend though, for obvious reasons.

See here: https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/business-contracts-forms/what-contracts-are-required-to-be-in-writing.html

In theory, verbal contracts are enforcable, but most lawyers will tell you that, without a writing to memorialize the agreement, you don't have much of a case. That's one of the grounds upon which Stormy Daniels is challenging the NDA with Trump, that he didn't sign the written contract.

Well... exactly. So how on Earth would you prove that in court then? What's the point? It is your word against his that there was a verbal contract.... ?!

I don’t care about proving it in court any more. Haven’t you read this thread? Whatever we all say or whatever paper evidence we bring seems irrelevant, jurors can just claim to read our minds and say our intent was prostitution and lock us up, so why fucking bother?

I don’t care about proving it in court any more. Haven’t you read this thread? Whatever we all say or whatever paper evidence we bring seems irrelevant, jurors can just claim to read our minds and say our intent was prostitution and lock us up, so why fucking bother?

The problem is that it may not pass the duck test.

On the other hand, CAPS are a very good way to have the answer stand out from the pre-existing text. Sorry you felt yelled at.

Double spacing before all caps would make it less intense reading... newspapers refer to it as white space... more white space... less intense.

Unfortunately, that is the truth. At this point I am not sure what you are trying to protect. My discussion was all about protecting yourself from prosecution - otherwise I am not sure what the argument would be about. The question would be whether you could defend yourself by stating that you were being paid only for signing a document stating payment only for not spilling the beans not for having the sex. Even if you could present the defense, the fact finder (judge/jury) would probably find that you were using that as a hoax but that it was imaginative. The same would go for any discussion you present as a verbal contract and that would probably be given even less weight. The prosecutor would of course have to show his elements by a preponderance of the evidence.

Let's pretend though you are in one of the few jurisdictions that does not make prostitution illegal then you would be enforcing (assuming that it is one of the two of you that wishes to enforce the contract) either a written or verbal contract. Then you would be before a fact finder having to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that a contract existed, that the people were competent to enter into it (hopefully you were not fucking a 13 yo), and the elements of the contract.

It is okay brother, take it easy... ;)