VPN Anyone

This topic is 2202 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With cyberrisk being what it is and data exchange being so pervasive in normal household activities, has anyone started using vpn to bring more privacy and security to your surfing.

There are a number of options available now. Do you feel a need, have you signed up with one? If so, which one? and Are you happy with your choice?

I did search to see if this had been discussed before, but alas, it said "vpn" is too short to search, so I hope I'm not plowing an old field...

I use VPN Unlimited. A few years ago, I purchased an unlimited account for about $125. I used it as long as I could to watch local MLB games - you may not know that the LA Dodgers sold out to TimeWarnerCable now Spectrum. If you don't subscribe to TWC/Spectrum you can't watch the Dodgers, so for a while I could just sign into the VPN Unlimited VPN in San Francisco and watch local games. That has gone away because MLB now requires Location of the device to watch.

But the good news is that now I can set up the VPN, logging in anywhere in the world, and all the data is encrypted from my computer to the VPN node and back. So go ahead local internet provider try to read the encrypted data transmitting through your local access point - waste all the time you want, it's 128 bit encrypted data transmission.

I use VPN Unlimited. A few years ago, I purchased an unlimited account for about $125. I used it as long as I could to watch local MLB games - you may not know that the LA Dodgers sold out to TimeWarnerCable now Spectrum. If you don't subscribe to TWC/Spectrum you can't watch the Dodgers, so for a while I could just sign into the VPN Unlimited VPN in San Francisco and watch local games. That has gone away because MLB now requires Location of the device to watch.

But the good news is that now I can set up the VPN, logging in anywhere in the world, and all the data is encrypted from my computer to the VPN node and back. So go ahead local internet provider try to read the encrypted data transmitting through your local access point - waste all the time you want, it's 128 bit encrypted data transmission.

I use VPN Unlimited as well. Even have it on my mobile devices (they have frequent sales so I procured a lifetime license for 5 devices). Does slow down your connection at times and forget about streaming netflix/amazon video if you pick an isp outside of the USA. I would buy again if I had a do-over.

forget about streaming netflix/amazon video if you pick an isp outside of the USA.
That has more to do with Anazon’s And Netflix’s licensing to stream copyrighted material outside the US.

If you were outside the US attempting to stream through a US node if VPNU you would probably be able to stream.

The whole idea of the Virtual Private Network is the other end of you connection thinks you are in the city of the VPN node. The data between your node and your device is encrypted.

Edited by instudiocity

That has more to do with Anazon’s And Netflix’s licensing to stream copyrighted material outside the US.

If you were outside the US attempting to stream through a US node if VPNU you would probably be able to stream.

The whole idea of the Virtual Private Network is the other end of you connection things you are in the city of the VPN node. The data between your node and your device is encrypted.

Exactly, so my chosen VPN is in a country in Europe where they have strict data privacy protections (GDPR requirements). I like uncle Sam, but I dont trust him with my data! ;)

With cyberrisk being what it is and data exchange being so pervasive in normal household activities, has anyone started using vpn to bring more privacy and security to your surfing.

There are a number of options available now. Do you feel a need, have you signed up with one? If so, which one? and Are you happy with your choice?

I did search to see if this had been discussed before, but alas, it said "vpn" is too short to search, so I hope I'm not plowing an old field...

Be sure to check out the “Tech talk” section of the forum - I remember this topic being discusses there as well.

Exactly, so my chosen VPN is in a country in Europe where they have strict data privacy protections (GDPR requirements). I like uncle Sam, but I dont trust him with my data! ;)

PIA offers a whole list of countries in which it is offered. For no real reason whenever I sign in I pick "Connect Netherlands." Of course, I have no idea whether that country has strict data privacy protections. Perhaps all Euro countries have the same protections? And hopefully those are strict?

I've only used it a very few times with the free Hide.me. Each time you open it you get a freebie.

That's funny. I must turn my PIA off in order to use the free Hide.me. If PIA is operable Hide.me won't open. I suppose it is because they provide similar services.

E like uncle Sam, but I dont trust him with my data! ;)
Me either!

... I cannot log into alot of sites like Hondausa.com,etc until I turned it off.
now, that seems wrong. They're not giving you free content, so they really shouldn't make that a barrier!

• 3 weeks later...