Beautiful Thing

Avalon
This topic is 2156 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Thing_(film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ggai6kch10

I've watched the British soap opera "Coronation Street" (Corrie) for over 20 years. What got me to watch was this movie. One character mentions that Sally on Corrie that the actress name is also Sally.

Corrie doesn't air here in the USA but does in Canada. I had a friend with a giant satellite dish in his yard and could get CBC (Canada) and he'd tape it for me. When CBC went digital I found a kind soul in Canada who would tape it for me. Another American fan contacted me and when I was done watching I mailed it off to them. I now watch it online.

I read that the boys got drunk to do the kissing scene in the park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Thing_(film)

I've watched the British soap opera "Coronation Street" (Corrie) for over 20 years. What got me to watch was this movie. One character mentions that Sally on Corrie that the actress name is also Sally.

Corrie doesn't air here in the USA but does in Canada. I had a friend with a giant satellite dish in his yard and could get CBC (Canada) and he'd tape it for me. When CBC went digital I found a kind soul in Canada who would tape it for me. Another American fan contacted me and when I was done watching I mailed it off to them. I now watch it online.

I read that the boys got drunk to do the kissing scene in the park.

Well, THAT brings back memories! I distinctly remember seeing this movie years ago when I was a youngster. Before my first trip to a gay bar... One of the first movie that showed real intimacy between two guys, so it really resonated with me, the journey they had to go through and how it is easier for some and harder for others. Quite a diverse cast too, which appreciate. Had a decent soundtrack if memory serves. I have it on DVD, will find time to watch it the coming weekend. Thank you for the reminder and the trip down memory lane!!

Well, THAT brings back memories! I distinctly remember seeing this movie years ago when I was a youngster. Before my first trip to a gay bar... One of the first movie that showed real intimacy between two guys, so it really resonated with me, the journey they had to go through and how it is easier for some and harder for others. Quite a diverse cast too, which appreciate. Had a decent soundtrack if memory serves. I have it on DVD, will find time to watch it the coming weekend. Thank you for the reminder and the trip down memory lane!!

You're welcome!

Though many disagree I like to think the two boys had a happily ever after!

• 1 month later...
An even more modern take on Beautiful Thing is 2007's Shelter.

Not as well-scripted, but a decent movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942384/

Yes!!! A great movie and also a great soundtrack. I recall that, at the time, I felt like I was the only one in my circle of friends that appreciated it - everybody else was busy watching Dante's Cove on TV! It was released at about the same time as Rock Haven, but in my opinion Shelter is superior in just about every way. :D

Yes!!! A great movie and also a great soundtrack. I recall that, at the time, I felt like I was the only one in my circle of friends that appreciated it - everybody else was busy watching Dante's Cove on TV! It was released at about the same time as Rock Haven, but in my opinion Shelter is superior in just about every way. :D

Agree about the soundtrack. I never knew about Shane Mack before, but now listen to his stuff quite a bit.