Beach Rats

Avalon
This topic is 2181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Harris Dickinson is a handsome actor with a promising career. He’s currently playing John Paul Getty III on Trust. Yawn!

I saw the movie “Beach Rats” & didn’t like it. What an awful portrayal of a young gay guy. He’s abusive to women, steals from his mom & dying dad, spends his days/nights looking to get high/wasted, doesn’t work, has a most dangerous sex life, uses a young gay guy to get pot &, then, watches him being beat up by his friends. Is that how gay men want to be portrayed? He’s just lucky that his hookups went well.

I don’t agree that this is “very worth watching”. Why? Was it supposed to be a coming out story? Or, how to deal with your conflicted sexuality? For that I’d suggest, “Call Me By Your Name” or “Love, Simon”.

Yes, Harris Dickinson is a handsome actor with a promising career. He’s currently playing John Paul Getty III on Trust. Yawn!

I saw the movie “Beach Rats” & didn’t like it. What an awful portrayal of a young gay guy. He’s abusive to women, steals from his mom & dying dad, spends his days/nights looking to get high/wasted, doesn’t work, has a most dangerous sex life, uses a young gay guy to get pot &, then, watches him being beat up by his friends. Is that how gay men want to be portrayed? He’s just lucky that his hookups went well.

I don’t agree that this is “very worth watching”. Why? Was it supposed to be a coming out story? Or, how to deal with your conflicted sexuality? For that I’d suggest, “Call Me By Your Name” or “Love, Simon”.

I felt that he did not know what his sexuality was. I felt that his gut told him that he was gay but that he could not go against his friends and society in general. I thought that this struggle made him hate himself and his community (though I definitely had sympathy for his mother and that she would be sympathetic to him). Of course, he is not what we want people seeing as the only portrayal of a gay guy. Unfortunately, that is exactly what a gay guy becomes for many different reasons. At the same time, however, most people were hugely sympathetic and drawn to the Heath Ledger character who was having the same problem and was engaging in tremendously destructive behavior that impacts other people, i.e., simultaneously cheating on his wife and child with Jake. So while I did not think the main character in Beach Rats was particularly admirable I thought he was realistic and that the movie was worth watching for his performance and for the unfortunate journey he goes through, much of it of his own making.