Moulin Rouge - Boston

nsguy45
This topic is 1840 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could pull a Phantom with it. Cut it down to 90 minutes. It ran for 6+ years.

Or maybe break it into two installments, and run it in rep.

The headliner with just the plot. And then a "Best of" in the style of the curtain call (perhaps with more nudity).

Themed concession break ("Absinthe specials!") in between for the folks who buy the full package...

They could pull a Phantom with it. Cut it down to 90 minutes. It ran for 6+ years.

Or maybe break it into two installments, and run it in rep.

The headliner with just the plot. And then a "Best of" in the style of the curtain call (perhaps with more nudity).

Themed concession break ("Absinthe specials!") in between for the folks who buy the full package...

• 3 months later...

Interesting announcement, this show will open right after the Tony Awards.

‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ to Head to Broadway

Karen Olivo and Aaron Tveit in the Boston production of “Moulin Rouge! The Musical.” Both will stay with the show when it moves to Broadway.

merlin_142001286_27be39b3-2e85-4643-a52d-b352b37b072c-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

By Sara Aridi

Nov. 19, 2018

A stage adaptation of the wildly popular 2001 jukebox musical film “Moulin Rouge” has set its 2019 Broadway opening date.

“Moulin Rouge! The Musical,” which had its premiere in Boston this summer, will begin performances June 28 at the Al Hirschfeld Theater before opening on July 25. Most of the cast, including the three leads — Karen Olivo, a Tony Award winner for “West Side Story,” Aaron Tveitand Danny Burstein — will remain with the production on Broadway.

In his New York Times review, Ben Brantley called the show “smart, shameless and extravagantly entertaining.” He added: “This ‘Moulin Rouge!’ captures the sensibility of a movie-loving movie in a theater lover’s language.”

The film, directed by Baz Luhrmann, follows a young writer who falls for a dancer and courtesan at the Moulin Rouge cabaret hall in late-19th century Paris. It was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won two, for costume design and art direction.

• 5 months later...
Openning on Broadway June 28th, yet ticket prices are through the roof. Orchestra seats are in $299+ range. Cheaper(!) $179 seats in rear orchestra!

After this last trip to the city, the hassles of seeing a show are becoming more glaring... The sheen of the experience wears thin. In most other forms of entertainment these days, the more you pay, the better you're treated: On Broadway, you're all cattle, no matter if you're sitting center orchestra, in the loge or at the very back of the balcony.

As much as it pains me to say this, the current state of Broadway is pushing me out. I don't have the patience to deal with the experience.

I can't disagree with Ben. I blame the uneducated, rude, disrespectful ticket holders who lessen the joy of watching Iive theater. But, I preserver because sometimes it all works and the experience is worth it. Other times I wish I was packin'.

I broke down, bought a $179 seat ($195+ with fees!) for Moulin Rouge in ROW R, center orch in August..