Bob Dylan Sings About Gay Love

WilliamM
This topic is 1594 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here's an interview with out gay Kpop star Holland mentioned above.

http://m.kpopherald.com/view.php?ud=201903221407438322519_2

Some excerpts:

Have you ever been treated unfairly or experienced discrimination because of your sexuality?

Holland: The agencies I spoke to prior to my debut told me not to disclose it. After I came out and debuted though, that was not an issue anymore. I don’t think I was disadvantaged as far as contract conditions are concerned because I was gay. One thing I find regretful is the terms on which idol contracts are signed in South Korea.

They are young people with their own dreams, visions and ideas, which are, in my humble opinion, often overshadowed by their agencies’ opinions which are far more powerful.

I had offers from agencies but I knew we were going to clash and people around me who really care for me in the entertainment industry encouraged me to do it on my own. I think I’m too different for the typical entertainment agency system.

You funded your debut single and the video and they were of pretty high quality. How did you manage financially?

Holland: Honestly, I don’t think my debut single (Neverland) was high quality. I used the money I saved up from working part-time to fund the music video to make it look like as less cheap as possible. I persuaded the filming crew that I want to do something new and the team even lost money and invested in me. I think they found the work fun and interesting.

Musically, since I’m a Seoul Institute of the Arts student, I was able to get help from the people I know. I didn’t have professionals to help me with singing or production so I personally think the quality could’ve been better. But I can say that I did my best within my capabilities then so I have no regrets.

Your music videos are quite out there. Do you have a say in their making?

Holland: Of course. There was no kiss scene at first in the “Neverland” video. But after I heard that a kiss scene (between two men) would give the video an R-rating, I found it ironic and told (the staff) that we need the scene. Secondly, I didn’t want the overall theme to be dark at first. In Korea, the LGBTQ community is portrayed in a dark light and as a social issue. But my romantic experiences have been all bright, young and pretty so I wanted to show that side.

“I’m Not Afraid” was more intense than “Neverland” in terms of LGBT representation.

Holland: I realized I need to learn more about LGBTQ issues after my debut. Other than being gay myself, I never had a chance to meet other sexual minority people. I gave a lot of thought to it since a lot of my fans are of various sexualities and orientations and many people felt supported by me. In “I’m Not Afraid,” you see drag queens, people of different races and different gender identities. I wanted to give more exposure to these guys, showing them just mingle together freely.

When did you first come out?

Holland: Though my close friends knew it, even my parents didn’t know until I debuted. It wasn’t easy. I still find it difficult. I have no regrets though. My fans help me overcome the hurt from the past especially when I was in school. Even if I don’t experience it first-hand, there are always people somewhere, online comments or the media talking about us (gay people) in a certain way which can be hurtful.

What do you think of the gap between K-pop’s gender-neutral aesthetic and its heteronormative narrative?

Holland: In my view, same-sex love is fantasized in the K-pop industry but when it comes to addressing the actual issues like coming out, it can be very sensitive and conservative, which is very “ironic.” Then again, I understand the role of (idols) who are meant to be liked by as many people as possible. I tried to see these things positively.

[Editorial comment: male idols have male fans too, some of whom are vocal and devoted, so a man yelling "Jimin!" at someone like Park Jimin of BTS or a male fan at a fansign asking if the idol would go on a date (aware that wouldn't actually happen) isn't unusual. The accepted answer to the question about a date is 'sure.']

What’s it like living as a gay person in Korea?

Holland: I’m currently surrounded by people in the arts, many of whom are from outside of Korea, those who have lived abroad and people familiar with the LGBTQ community. So I don’t get hurt often these days. But still, when I meet new people every day in society as a business representative and think things went well, I still doubt myself when I go home and think, “What would they think of me?” and find myself feeling stressed a bit, which I think is indicative of the hardships I’ve experienced so far. I hope things change for the better.

You said your parents didn’t know you were gay in an interview last year. What was it like coming out to them?

Holland: My parents love and support me. They are actually really proud of their celebrity son (laughing). They know that I work hard on my own so they trust me. They are deeply in love with each other and living together happily.

The MV for his first song, Neverland, is posted above. "I'm Not Afraid" is here:

"I'm So Afraid" is a sequel to "I'm Not Afraid."

I would definitely take the boyfriend.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely take the boyfriend.

In the MV? I keep changing my mind as to whether he's Korean or, say, Filipino or Southeast Asian, as he's darker-skinned than the norm in South Korea, which has been colorist longer than it's been racist. Colorist in the sense that darker skin and a tan implies manual labor, whereas whiter skin implies leisure time and higher status. (Just like a farmer's tan is considered declasse here.) That's been true far longer than darker skin has been a marker of racial difference.

The overall South Korean norm for male attractiveness skews more masc than the standard for K-pop idols, probably because male K-pop idols are expected to mostly appeal to female fans. There are some both within the idol system and outside who skew more masc, though, including MRSHLL (the other out gay K-pop artist), Baekho of Nu'est, Wonho and Shownu of Monsta X, and RM and Jungkook of BTS. But in general South Korean society seems more tolerant of what to us looks like a blurring of gender norms in K-pop idols without necessarily linking that to sexual orientation.

"Gender identity" can also be used as code for the LGBTQ community without getting Korean netizens all up in arms over advocacy of homosexuality or queerness. RM, the leader of BTS, did this in a speech (in English) he made on behalf of the group to the UN General Assembly last fall -- that's the speech Holland was asked about, and that's the part of the speech he's referring to as being of comfort to the LBGTQ community.

• 2 weeks later...
While universally heartened by the fact that Dylan is singing a song that has been altered solely to recognize opposite sex relationships, didn't Dylan go through a Christian phase in his life/career? I was never sure how that impacted his life and still wonder if there is any impact regarding same sex marriage/ relationships?

Dylan's flirtation with Christianity seemed to have more to do with finding Jesus and accepting His love and guidance than the full-blown American Christian judgment and morality.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

• 8 months later...

New song by Holland, this one more specifically about what the anti-gay bullying he experienced in school did to him.

This isn't the only kpop song to address school bullying. "Warrior's Descendant," the debut song of H.O.T, the first kpop idol group, is about school bullying.

So is "Face," NU'EST's debut song.

New song by Holland, this one more specifically about what the anti-gay bullying he experienced in school did to him.

. . .

This is a beautiful song that depicts some of the consequences of bullying. However it does show that an individual, if lucky, can break free of its strictures. I'm sure the depicted guy is extremely strong after going through a lot of guilt. And it is clear that he just decided to disregard those around him.