Massage in exchange of rent?

7829V
This topic is 2262 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's a guy I met that asked me if he could stay at my place for a while an pay me with "massage sessions". I've hired him as a masseur, he's good, he's handsome and sexy. I enjoyed his work as a masseur. He's trained. He's not in MF or any of those websites (yet). I like him as a person, we've gone out and hanged out a few times. Has anyone has had any deal similar to this one? I think I'll offer him a short time deal, like 1 - 3 months while he finds his own place. If you have any advice or feedback let me know.

Edited by 7829V

Will he want to use your place to do massages to others? If so, is that alright with you?

No, he works at a massage place.

And in his free time he’ll be busy trying to find his own place and getting settled. But I know we’ll need to have some clear written rules.

In my mind I can see it going very well but also very bad. I would first give him a trial period of let’s say 1 month and then, I personally, wouldn’t go longer than 6 months. Which even that sounds too long.

Is just while he settles in this area. He’s moving from out of town. So I’d say 1-3 months is ok with me. No more than that.

Be very careful and fully understand the landlord/tenant laws in your jurisdiction, i.e. city/municipality/state. You could easily find yourself unable to end the tenancy without going through a legal eviction process . . . and it would certainly be awkward to explain to a judge that rent was paid/not paid in massage treatments.

Be very careful and fully understand the landlord/tenant laws in your jurisdiction, i.e. city/municipality/state. You could easily find yourself unable to end the tenancy without going through a legal eviction process . . . and it would certainly be awkward to explain to a judge that rent was paid/not paid in massage treatments.

What if you draw up a contract?

what if he 'procrastinates' and doesn't leave?

He’s not that type. He’s stayed before at my place for a week at a time and he gave me a few massages as gratitude for letting him stay. He’s very tidy and prudent.

I would say just put boundaries and tell him to give you updates on his process of moving out. If you need some type of document just do a simple letter saying he is staying as your guest till a certain date and both of you sign it. It will stand up in court. If that date needs to be moved further you can just addendum the document.

What if you draw up a contract?

Again, that depends on the jurisdiction. Some localities are very tenant-friendly, and you might find yourself unable to enforce a contract or lease provision that is contrary to law or public policy ... regardless if both parties agreed to the provision. That said, a written lease agreement could help avoid a lot of problems.