Nailed It

This topic is 2085 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 4 months later...

I have to confess - I finally saw a few episodes of this the other night. HATED it. Just absolutely hated it. (My parents are fans of the show - they're sitting there laughing at everything, and I'm just wishing we could put something else on...)

The only funny thing for me was the very obvious - the contestants' complete and utter ineptitude at baking. But that joke wears thin, particularly as you realize that that's the only point of what they're doing. (In fact, I would not be surprised if they are explicitly told to make as many mistakes as possible.)

Nicole Byer is horribly obnoxious. Frankly, so is that French poseur she co-stars with - even if he actually is a renowned chocolatier. A TV personality he is not, IMO.

I think the real problem is that I can't tell if this show is supposed to be a parody of itself or not. But either way, I don't think it succeeds.

Ick.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know Byer (no u) in any other context - but in this particular show, from what I saw, she is horrid.

In one of the episodes I saw, one of the contestants hit the "help" button, and Byer came up to her and just kinda yelled and ranted and screamed incoherently. It wasn't funny. It was sad.

I just can't abide the misuse of food (food fights, eating contests, wasting it, or, as in the baking competition video, just messing with it.)

In all honesty, however, I have to admit the pie throwing of The Three Stooges was very funny to me.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEXCNACELwBSFryq4qpAwkIARUAAIhCGAE=&rs=AOn4CLC3pmYBslO4-DNE9elilz3_PooqEw

I was never a huge Three Stooges fan, though I do enjoy that kind of pie-in-the-face slapstick in general. It's classic stuff.

With this "Nailed It" thing, it seems to me that the only point of the show is that all of the "contestants" are set up for epic fails from the first moment. There's really no fun in that. I guess the real point is to see who fails the most, or most ridiculously - even though that works totally against the assessments made by the judges, who seem to be trying to rate the BEST results, not the WORST. But since the outcome from the beginning is that they're all going to fail to a major degree, it kind of takes away any of the fun sense that there could be in the competition.

It could have been much funnier if, perhaps, unexpected new obstacles are occasionally being put in their way (or more like a "Candid Camera" where the contestants aren't aware of why things are going wrong, etc). As it is, it's just not all that interesting.

Christopher Guest and company could have done something very very funny with this. The improv would have been far better, the comic stakes would have seemed more real, and the personalities would have been endearing in their incompetence instead of just plain incompetent. (I'm imagining what a bakery run by the cast of Guffman would have been like. THAT's comedy...)

I was never a huge Three Stooges fan, though I do enjoy that kind of pie-in-the-face slapstick in general. It's classic stuff.

With this "Nailed It" thing, it seems to me that the only point of the show is that all of the "contestants" are set up for epic fails from the first moment. There's really no fun in that. I guess the real point is to see who fails the most, or most ridiculously - even though that works totally against the assessments made by the judges, who seem to be trying to rate the BEST results, not the WORST. But since the outcome from the beginning is that they're all going to fail to a major degree, it kind of takes away any of the fun sense that there could be in the competition.

It could have been much funnier if, perhaps, unexpected new obstacles are occasionally being put in their way (or more like a "Candid Camera" where the contestants aren't aware of why things are going wrong, etc). As it is, it's just not all that interesting.

Christopher Guest and company could have done something very very funny with this. The improv would have been far better, the comic stakes would have seemed more real, and the personalities would have been endearing in their incompetence instead of just plain incompetent. (I'm imagining what a bakery run by the cast of Guffman would have been like. THAT's comedy...)

That's good. Another possibility would be to sneak a very talented chef in among the contestants.