These are the 20 most LGBTI-friendly and unfriendly colleges in the US

Avalon
This topic is 2272 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I would question Univ of North Dakota making the “unfriendly” list. Is it just because it’s in ND? Because the school has supported a gay pride parade at least since the early 2000’s and a lgbt student group that has slowly grown each year even when I was there.

Only one of the schools on either list surprises me. The anti-LGBT schools are all either private schools with conservative religious affiliations, or public schools in extremely conservative areas. Eighteen of the 20 LGBT-friendly colleges are private liberal arts colleges, and one is a famously liberal state university. The one surprise is William and Mary, a large public college in the South that was a fairly conservative, segregated school when I was looking at colleges in my youth.

Only one of the schools on either list surprises me. The anti-LGBT schools are all either private schools with conservative religious affiliations, or public schools in extremely conservative areas. Eighteen of the 20 LGBT-friendly colleges are private liberal arts colleges, and one is a famously liberal state university. The one surprise is William and Mary, a large public college in the South that was a fairly conservative, segregated school when I was looking at colleges in my youth.

I wouldn't categorize Stanford or Yale as a liberal arts colleges. Both are major research universities which also have strong fuzzy departments.

Kevin Slater

How did Bob Jones U and Liberty U not make the worst list? I don’t actually know what it’s like on their campuses. I’m just guessing from general knowledge that I doubt they’d be too welcoming.

Gman

Maybe they're not considered real schools? Just Bible schools. Are they even accredited?

How did Bob Jones U and Liberty U not make the worst list? I don’t actually know what it’s like on their campuses. I’m just guessing from general knowledge that I doubt they’d be too welcoming.

Gman

Maybe they're not considered real schools? Just Bible schools. Are they even accredited?

They are real. I used to know a woman who was a physician who had previously gone to Bob Jones. And medical school wouldn’t have taken her if the undergrad wasn’t a real college/university. And I think Liberty has a large accredited correspondence catalog which wouldn’t be accredited if the parent university weren’t.

Gman

They are real. I used to know a woman who was a physician who had previously gone to Bob Jones. And medical school wouldn’t have taken her if the undergrad wasn’t a real college/university. And I think Liberty has a large accredited correspondence catalog which wouldn’t be accredited if the parent university weren’t.

Gman

Thanks! Those are scary places!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University

Both teach young earth creationism

I went to W&M Law 30 years ago. Even then, Wmsburg was a very open, tolerant place that for the most part was very accepting of LGBT folks. Of course, drive 5 miles in any direction from the outskirts of Billyburg and it was a whole 'nother world.

I went to W&M Law 30 years ago. Even then, Wmsburg was a very open, tolerant place that for the most part was very accepting of LGBT folks. Of course, drive 5 miles in any direction from the outskirts of Billyburg and it was a whole 'nother world.

Of course, I was looking at W&M a quarter century before you went there; by the time I arrived at the campus, I had passed too many "Whites Only" drinking fountains to seriously consider applying for admission to any public college in the South. In 1971, a close friend of mine was offered a professorship there, but halfway through the interview she realized there was no way she could feel comfortable there. I'm glad to hear that things got better at W&M in later years.