Gift for someone

cruiserdude1234
This topic is 2248 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So an overnight would equate to roughly 2/3rds of a ton of pennies. :eek:

Better keep working on those deadlifts, brother.:D

Serious question. In Australia copper coins are only legal tender up to 20 cents. That is, you do not have to accept payment in them for amounts greater than that. (It's moot now, one and two cent coins have long been removed from circulation but they are still legal tender.) Other coins have higher legal tender limits, 'silver' coins (5, 10, 20 and 50 cent: $5) and $1 and $2 coins $10 and $20 respectively. Banknotes are legal tender for any amount. I suspect that the law is less prescriptive in the US. Would you even have to accept a shit load of pennies?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question. In Australia copper coins are only legal tender up to 20 cents. That is, you do not have to accept payment in them for amounts greater than that. (It's moot now, one and two cent coins have long been removed from circulation but they are still legal tender.) Other coins have higher legal tender limits, 'silver' coins (5, 10, 20 and 50 cent: $5) and $1 and $2 coins $10 and $20 respectively. Banknotes are legal tender for any amount. I suspect that the law is less prescriptive in the US. Would you even have to accept a shit load of pennies?

I saw a YouTube video where the guy bought a car with two wheelbarrows full of pennies and other denominations. I'd say in massive quantities it is up to the business. In the end they still want your business and would say yes if they don't mind rolling the coins for the bank.

I’m not aware of any law that places a limit on the use of pennies, but many businesses have policies on how many coins they may be willing to accept based purely on the practicality of accepting them.

You probably know that our Federal Reserve notes (bills) begin at $1US. While we have single coins for $1 and $0.50, they are rarely used and have relatively few in circulation. So we really only worry about pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters for coinage.

Now back to the more important calculation...how many pounds/tons of pennies to hire @VictorPowers for a weekend.

Imagine the look on the face of the bank teller when that request is made.

I saw a YouTube video where the guy bought a car with two wheelbarrows full of pennies and other denominations. I'd say in massive quantities it is up to the business. In the end they still want your business and would say yes if they don't mind rolling the coins for the bank.

Yes, the legal tender rules only say what a business is obliged to do, they can choose to accept whatever form of cash they want.

And before anyone asks, with 5c being the smallest coin, the law here is quite prescriptive. If the amount ends in 1, 2, 6 or 7 cents, you must round it down to 0 or 5, if it ends in 3, 4, 8 or 9 you can round it up to 5 or 0 when people are paying in cash. If you pay with a cheque or electronically they must charge you the exact amount.

In the cases where I’ve known people to pay with large quantities of coins and the business has accepted them, them have required the party paying with the coins to put them in the most efficient format for deposit (I.e. rolling them themselves) prior to accepting them as payment.

I’m not aware of any law that places a limit on the use of pennies, but many businesses have policies on how many coins they may be willing to accept based purely on the practicality of accepting them.

You probably know that our Federal Reserve notes (bills) begin at $1US. While we have single coins for $1 and $0.50, they are rarely used and have relatively few in circulation. So we really only worry about pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters for coinage.

Now back to the more important calculation...how many pounds/tons of pennies to hire @VictorPowers for a weekend.

Imagine the look on the face of the bank teller when that request is made.

If you hire the few and shipping for my pallet of pennies to be delivered to my home, I'll accept it. That's a story for the ages!