Chocolate Starfish - You're So Vain

Avalon
This topic is 2279 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had never heard of this band. They're very exciting, but they were big in the 90s. They've just release a new album in December 2017; their first new music in 20 years.

In most of the live videos I've been watching the lead singer shows a bit of affection or bro-play with the bass player. Like so many bass players, I think this one is a real stud.

Thanks for sharing this video.

I like this version. It has a gay take "All the boys dreamed ..." and the singer is male. But it does say "the wife of a close friend ...".

Seems like the gender change makes it more clearly straight, not gay. The singer says "all the boys dreamed they'd be your partner" because he's singing to someone he has been intimate with, so the lyric change suggests he's singing to a woman and not a man. Keeping "wife of a close friend" instead of singing "husband of a close friend" also makes sense since female-female sexual relations are okay with many straight dudes, but also because substituting a two syllable word for a one syllable word would sound clunky.

I think I might like Chocolate Starfish's cover of "You're So Vain" if they had a different lead singer. The groove is nice, but I cannot say that this guy's voice is particularly pleasant or interesting.

Seems like the gender change makes it more clearly straight, not gay. The singer says "all the boys dreamed they'd be your partner" because he's singing to someone he has been intimate with, so the lyric change suggests he's singing to a woman and not a man. Keeping "wife of a close friend" instead of singing "husband of a close friend" also makes sense since female-female sexual relations are okay with many straight dudes, but also because substituting a two syllable word for a one syllable word would sound clunky.

I think I might like Chocolate Starfish's cover of "You're So Vain" if they had a different lead singer. The groove is nice, but I cannot say that this guy's voice is particularly pleasant or interesting.

Thanks for your take, perspective on the song.