Hospital window

Steven_Draker
This topic is 6410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on end. They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation.

Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window. The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.

The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance. As the man by the window described all this in exquisite detail, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine the picturesque scene.

One warm afternoon the man by the window described a parade passing by. Although the other man couldn't hear the band - he could see it. In his mind's eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.

Days and weeks passed.

One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.

As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.

He strained to slowly turn to look out the window beside the bed. It faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window. The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, "Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you."

Epilogue:

There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.

Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.

If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.

Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Steven Draker ~

My thanks to all in Hooville. I am amazed at the quality people I have met during the past five years by using this site. Thanks guys and Happy Thanksgiving.

Steven, I'm sorry I missed your tour through Hotlanta. Business took me away. I know it was my loss. I hope you enjoyed yourself and indulged in our southern hospitality.

• 4 weeks later...

>Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.

>One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each

>afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs. His bed was

>next to the room's only window. The other man had to spend all

>his time flat on his back. The men talked for hours on end.

>They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their

>jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they

>had been on vacation.

>>Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

>

>Happy Thanksgiving !

>

>

>Steven Draker ~

Thanks for this Steven. It is December 19th and it is just as appropriatew today as it was on Thanksgiving..Michael

see you on the 30th.

• 11 months later...

Since I'm not able to come up with something better this year I'm bumping this thread. It's still a beautiful story.

I noticed that one of the posters who responded here is no longer with us. RIP

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, everyone !

Steven Draker ~

http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk

http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels

Quote of the day:

"Colors may fade with friction. Read instructions carefully. Store in a cool and dry place. No side effects".

Life is not a dress rehearsal... Enjoy it. Don't take yourself too seriously because nobody else will. Once you learn perfection is a state of mind, you will have a lot more free time to be yourself.

>I had heard that story before but you told it much more

>beautifully. Thank you.

The exact story can be found, with the exact same wording, on many many websites all over the internet. Try googling the first sentence and you'll see what I mean. He didn't retell it, he just cut and pasted and took credit for it instead of saying "here's a nice story I found on the internet and wanted to share." It IS a nice story and nice sentiment but it's plaigarized!

>The exact story can be found, with the exact same wording, on

>many many websites all over the internet. Try googling the

>first sentence and you'll see what I mean. He didn't retell

>it, he just cut and pasted and took credit for it instead of

>saying "here's a nice story I found on the internet and wanted

>to share." It IS a nice story and nice sentiment but it's

>plaigarized!

I never said, that I wrote the story, Ricky. Grow up !

Steven Draker ~

Guest zipperzone

>We should all "Help those less Fortunate" than Ourselves at

>this time of year, without any hidden agenda's, or

>argumentative... attitudes.:p :P :p

Only at this time of year? 24/7/365 would work just as well.

>Quincy... Thanks for your point of view. I thought I had read

>a variation somewhere else, at some point in time....

>

>We should all "Help those less Fortunate" than Ourselves at

>this time of year, without any hidden agenda's, or

>argumentative... attitudes.:p :P :p

I would like to say that we "should all help those less fortunate than ourselves" on a daily basis, but our kindness and generosity and thoughts seem to be amplified during these two months of a given calendar year in this country. :) :-)

Opps! what happened to my message? Regardless... Steven... You are profound, compell me with your entry. Would like to have lunch with you sometime, all other things aside~ Sincerily, Tyger!

http://www.tygerscent.biz

http://www.daddysreviews.com/area.php?loc=63150&who=tyger_portland

men4rentnow.com tygerscent in Portland, Oregon

>Steven... You are profound, compell me with your entry. Would like to

>have lunch with you sometime, all other things aside~

Hey Tiger,

It would be great to see you again, eat with you or eat you (whatever comes first).

I'll be in San Francisco from Thursday, the 30th till Sunday, the 3rd.

Steven Draker ~

website http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk

reviews http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels

new and xxx pictures http://www.rentboy.com/location/getrb.asp?rentboy=89934&Location=71

Archived