EVP

Trixie
This topic is 6741 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone in our Hooville community have an interest in EVP, which stands for Electronic Voice Phenomena?

A friend of mine moved into an older apartment building quite near Golden Gate Park in SF last year. After having heard that the building is "haunted", he's started expirimenting with this EVP, which entails recording the "dead" air of an empty room. In this case my friend sits in his apartment and asks questions to the "spirits", 5 minutes apart, taping for 45 minutes on an old tape recorder. THen he plays back the tape. The results he played for me are spooky. There were actually two voices on the tape besides his. His first question was "Is anyone here?". That got no response. Secondly, he asked "Why are you here?." about 30 seconds afterwards there is a distinct male voice saying, as far as I could tell, "Hashish". A few seconds beyond that, a female voice said "We will never".

He asked other questions, and there were a few sounds that might or might not have been voices, but the second question, that illicited two fairly clear responses, scared the bloomers off me! I sat with him yesterday afternoon he made the tape, so I know there was no one else there.

I really don't know what to think abot this. But just writing about it now gives me the chills.

Creepily,

La Trix

There was a movie out sometime in the last year called "White Noise" that was based on this phenomenon. You or your friend might want to check it out. Appparently there are all sorts of websites too. I have not seen the movie or had any experience with it though.

As a kid, I lived in a haunted house. Although we never did the tape recording stuff or any investigation at all as to what was going on (we're so lame!! lol), I did see the ghost once. It was kind of a boring haunting but towards the end of our stay it did become increasingly violent. Hope your friend is careful not to create any ill will with the spirits in his home.

If you think it was scary using a tape recorder, you might get better (and more startling) results after making your own EVP system.

http://www.raven1.net/evp.jpg

Not sure I'd dare experiment with EVP because I don't want to hear the results. I have enough problems in my house with lights, electronic devices, etc. turning themselves on and off in the wee hours of the morning. Do I really want to know what someone (or something) is trying to tell me??

By the way, is HooBoy's "Friend of Sheila" a friend of the Sheila credited in the diagram above? :+

-------------

"We need to have more respect for each other. Things have just gone really crazy, out of control. ... We're on a very weird kind of cycle." Stevie Wonder

I can think of a couple of explanations that don't require supernatural pheonmena.

First - if it were an analogue (reel-to-reel) or cassette tape,

it could be that the erase head on the tape recorder wasn't doing

a great job.

Second - There are some parts of san francisco (esp. twin peaks)

where radio signals are very strong and will leak into microphones.

(I have a hobby as a recording engineer, and this is *well known*.)

Thirdly - If your friend played the tape more loudly than than was

recorded, there is a definite lower limit to what humans can hear;

and it was possible that the system was picking up other living humans

in neighboring apartments.

I have heard this done on TV, and I think it is just part of the white noise--no ghosts. It is like looking at clouds and seeing patterns, a ship here, a bear there, etc. People are listening to the white noise and hearing patterns which only coincidentally can be percieved as words.

Archived