Anastasia

Cooper
This topic is 1909 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was reluctant in seeing Anastasia as the reviews were not good, fortunately, I'm not a critic and loved it. This musical ain't just for kids!

Most of us already know the story of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and the assassination of the royal family. So, was it possible one child, Anastasia, survived?

This production is very lively with a wonderful and talented cast of characters. Excellent musical numbers that left me humming some song, not sure its name but it was catchy. Most impressive was the scenery. You go on an amazing train ride from St. Petersburg to Paris. The depiction of the landmarks along the way was incredible. The dancing was very entertaining, from formal ballroom, to night club, to ballet. And, the costumes were done to perfection.

There were 2 young, well behaved, children sitting in front of me. They were mesmerized by this show and were laughing, along with me, at some of the very funny acts.

The leads who played Anya, Dmitry, Gleb, Vlad, Countess Lily, and Dowager Empress were excellent! Dimitry, played by Derek Klena, is a hunk.

Regardless of what the critics had to say, I'm glad I saw it.

Coop

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Closing date March 31...

‘Anastasia’ Musical to Close on Broadway on March 31

The stage adaptation of “Anastasia” will end its Broadway run on March 31, the producers said Tuesday.

The musical, powered by the popularity of the animated 1997 film, is about a Russian girl who may or may not be the daughter of a czar.

The show began performances on Broadway in March of 2017; at the time of its closing it will have played 808 regular and 34 preview performances. The show was capitalized for up to $15 million, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission; it has not recouped its capitalization costs.

The show has an unusually ambitious touring schedule, especially for a musical that was not a huge success on Broadway, where it was greeted with several negative reviews. It is now on tour in the United States and running in Madrid and Stuttgart, Germany; there are runs planned in Holland, Korea, Japan, Mexico, Australia and Brazil.