Radio - Music Or Talk Shows?

Avalon
This topic is 2362 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I prefer talk shows. Unless I'm watching something on the internet I have the radio playing.

Music puts me to sleep. When I was a boy our class went to hear Peter and the Wolf. I fell asleep.

In high school I went to one school dance. Our class was sponsoring it. I had to stamp the hands of the students after they paid to enter. That took about half-an-hour. After that I fell asleep until the dance was over.

In college I decided to take a music appreciation class. I lasted one class. It started out the teacher played a recording of 10 musical instruments and we had guess what they were. I did not do well. Also to get an "A" one had to write two papers and for a "B" one paper. I dropped the class.

I took an art appreciation class. I did well in that one!

I've run into many people who consider that "crazy", to have the TV on & not watch it. One was my roommate's mother, even after I explained that I was the one who had it on for some ambient noise in the background; so she was essentially calling me crazy. :-)

Just yesterday, I tried leaving a Youtube video of "12 hours of calming music for dogs" for my pup while I was away, I'm not sure yet if she enjoyed it - my roommate came home shortly after I left.

I'm not a very musical person at all. I listen to NPR on my drive in, and my local NPR is very much into alternative music during the afternoon, which does nothing for me, but I can get the NPR station from the University of Michigan for most of my drive, which is more traditional NPR fare.

In the car, I'll listen to the local public radio station if something interesting is on, otherwise I'll listen to CDs. (There are no other radio stations worth listening to.) Sometimes I fall asleep watching TV, but otherwise I don't leave it on if I'm not watching.

I watch music videos and shows and listen to Spotify and the occasional CD. I've been listening to a premade playlist and it's reminded me why I usually don't: listening to something I don't like diminishes my enjoyment. But so far I've only disliked two songs.

Music puts me to sleep

I'm the exact opposite. Music is meant to be listened to so it over stimulates me and keeps me from sleeping. A TV on in the background will put me to sleep in 15 minutes as long as it's lots of talking and not a lot of action and explosions Etc. I have a lot of stand-up comedy on my DVR that lulls me to sleep.

The type of music depends on what I'm doing. If I'm alone and puttering around I really like coffee shop covers. I love the slowed down, new takes on hits that I'm familiar with. Late 80s and newer. I've never been a fan of Rock even when it was current.

If I'm with friends it's electronic dance music or Top 40. The more we drink the louder it gets.

I've run into many people who consider that "crazy", to have the TV on & not watch it. One was my roommate's mother, even after I explained that I was the one who had it on for some ambient noise in the background; so she was essentially calling me crazy. :)

Just yesterday, I tried leaving a Youtube video of "12 hours of calming music for dogs" for my pup while I was away, I'm not sure yet if she enjoyed it - my roommate came home shortly after I left.

I'm not a very musical person at all. I listen to NPR on my drive in, and my local NPR is very much into alternative music during the afternoon, which does nothing for me, but I can get the NPR station from the University of Michigan for most of my drive, which is more traditional NPR fare.

I love NPR

I only listen to the radio in my car, & it's always political talk radio, never awful commercial mainstream music, yuck! I mostly listen to right-wing talk radio, for the progressive take on politics, I watch independent noncommercial news media online (mainly on my phone).

Whenever I listen to music, it's MY music that I chose, bought, & paid for, not whatever the masses are listening to these days. Music in general has been shit for the past 2 decades. The Grunge era in the early 90's was the last time music was cool & innovative, & even then, a lot of it still sucked lol

Music most of the time, I never listen to local talk radio because here its all ultra conservative, pro guns, anti-gay, racist BS. I do listen to podcast once in a great while. I work with people for a profession and most of the time I get my fill of humanity and it's musings I don't really need to listen to it in my free time.

Usually I'm good with silence.

In the early '70's, I had a radio for Morning Pro Musica in Boston (anyone else rememeber it?) at work, which was in direct violation of company rules. At 10 am, they would switch over to the Nixon hearings, and it would get turned off.

One day, one of the senior administrators came by the lab. "What happened to the music?" he asked.

"Someone complained, and I had to turn it off."

"Oh, too bad," he said, "It was nice to hear it."

So for me, "oldies" are about 1500 to 1650, or 1750 on a good day.

Usually I'm good with silence.

In the early '70's, I had a radio for Morning Pro Musica in Boston (anyone else rememeber it?) at work, which was in direct violation of company rules. At 10 am, they would switch over to the Nixon hearings, and it would get turned off.

One day, one of the senior administrators came by the lab. "What happened to the music?" he asked.

"Someone complained, and I had to turn it off."

"Oh, too bad," he said, "It was nice to hear it."

So for me, "oldies" are about 1500 to 1650, or 1750 on a good day.

I remember Morning Pro Musica, although I probably heard it on another NPR station. I didn't listen to public radio when I lived in Boston.