Audio Books?

Avalon
This topic is 2363 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you like audio books? I had a friend who was really into them. I'm not really into novels but he had one of Suetonius "The Twelve Caesars". I know the book; I've read it. So one day he came by and set up the machine to play it. He then left to do some errands. When he returned it was still on Caesar. I can read faster that I can hear.

I did buy one audio book. It was Rupert Graves reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray". I got it because I like Rupert Graves who played Alec in the gay themed movie "Maurice" and "I'm just wild(e) about Oscar!" ;-)))

I listen to them on long car trips. The Harry Potter ones are very well done, it's how I first started with Harry Potter. I'd listened to the first two books (rather than read them), and then misplaced the book I was going to read on an airplane so I picked up "The Goblet of Fire" (4) at the aiport bookstore; totally ruined the ending of 3 (Prisoner of Azkaban) for me. The American audiobooks are read by Jim Dale who does a truly spectacular job. They interviewed him on NPR (Fresh Air?) and it was a fascinating interview. I've been interested in finding the British audiobooks, read by Stephen Fry.

Do not get the audiobooks of the TekWar series, read by the author, William Shatner. I love the man but the memory of hearing him trying to do women's voices in the book still makes me cringe.

I haven't tried audiobooks either because I read faster than a narrator speaks, I absorb and remember written information better than spoken, and I would likely fall asleep listening, totally messing up my ability to pick up where I left off.

If I'm on a long car trip, I'd rather listen to music.

(Not a total Luddite; I do 95% of my reading on a tablet.)

I love audiobooks. I'm usually too tired to "read" when i get home (just had to get progressive lenses earlier this year). I use the New York public library card and have access to a lot of audiobooks (using their Overdrive app/ Libby app). Plus, i have a subscription to audible when i can't find a book at the library. Audiobooks are great especially for my daily commutes. Can zone out with my bose noise canceling headphones and enjoy a nice story. I usually go through a book a week, much more than I would do if I were to be "actively" reading. It keeps me interested and inquisitive as I am able to explore books or other topics that I am not always drawn to (i.e., American history).