Soap operas

Stormy
This topic is 2384 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I didnt schedule my classes accordingly, but college (1977-81) is when I became a viewer.

The TV lounge in the Student Union was always jammed at AMC time. In my case, neighbor girls moved in with us for a couple weeks due to fire in their apartment. And I got hooked on One Life to Live.

Watched many over the years, videotaping during my early career years. My favorite: Ryan's Hope, the only one not set in a fictionale locale.

Eventually lost interest. I havent seen an episode since long before the turn-of-the-century.

I know I've seen reports of long-running soaps canceling after decades on-air. I dont really know if any still air, or if they do, which ones.

I got hooked on Guiding Light when I was in high school - most days I was home early enough to watch it. That would have been around 1980. I stayed with it (often through the magic of the VCR) through the early 2000's, then found myself dropping off from it...ironically, I did start trying to watch again towards the end of that decade, but, as soaps go, by that point so many of the characters and plot points had changed that I found it hard to get back into it. Then the show went off the air shortly after that.

The last actor to play one of the show's famous villains, Alan Spaulding, was actor Ron Raines, who is also quite a wonderful baritone. I got to meet him when he sang in Boston a few years ago, which was very fun.

I was a guiding light fan about 10 years earlier than that, Mom watched it and my sisters and I joined in. Alan was a kid then, he had not grown into a villain. I remember they were one of the first soaps to feature a story line about the (then-very-new) concept of a husband being accused of raping his wife.

When I was in college I scheduled my classes around thevairing of All My Children. I knew professionals who took an hour out of their day to watch the soaps. Does anyone at all watch daytime tv soaps anymore?

I did too!

Later I watched ATWT for the "Nuke" storyline.

I currently watch six soap operas.

I began watching "Days Of Our Lives" for the WilSon storyline.

I've watched the British soap opera "Coronation Street" for 20+ years.

I also watch "Hollyoaks". Lots of gay characters.

I watch "Neighbours" and "Home and Away" from Australia.

And earlier this year I began watching the New Zealand soap "Shortland Street".