FLL or PR

GregM
This topic is 2374 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

PR... Puerto Rico?

They were devastated by Irma/Maria. They won't be ready for prime time for years.

Also look into PVR, CUN (but staying in Playa Del Carmen), FPO and UVF.

No desire to go to Mexico right now. I do not like the Pacific, it's too cold. And the sand I've experienced in Mexico is not fun. Plus I only want to be gone from the day job a few days.

Hugs,

Greg

I always thought the Atlantic was colder than the Pacific. Have I been wrong all these years?

Gman

I'm surprised you didn't know that, specially after having flown young men from one coast to the other for years.

Does it snow in San Francisco? Does it snow in Norfolk 1' closer to the equator?

The water of the Pacific is colder, and summers aren't as hot in LA even thought has almost the same latitude of Atlanta. Temperatures are more extreme in the East Coast were it has snowed even Northern Florida and New Orleans.

FWIW...

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-gulf-stream-1435328

Having lived on both coasts, the Pacific is exceptionally cold most of the year. The Gulf Stream is a little gift to the Atlantic seaboard.

Madrid and NYC have the same latitude and even thought Spain's capital is 200o feet above sea level (2nd highest in Europe) it snows there once in a decade instead of every single year like it does in Gotham city.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/royal-palace-in-snow-madrid-spain-europe-picture-id88800363

nieve_madrid.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/january-09-2009-madrid-spain-heavy-snow-storm-in-madrid-espana-square-picture-id89449626

I always thought the Atlantic was colder than the Pacific. Have I been wrong all these years?

Ocean currents are the same the world over. West coasts have cold currents (north to south in your part of the world) and warm on east coasts. There are local variations in relatively closed areas in bays and gulfs. As already noted, the Gulf Stream super charges that effect in the North Atlantic mainly to the benefit of NW Europe. West coast mid-latitude areas like southern California and southern western Australia (and Spain and Portugal) have what is generally known as a Mediterranean climate, hot dry summers and cooler wetter winters, whereas similar latitude areas on east coasts (Sydney/Brisbane, Durban, SE US) are more sub-tropical with humid wetter summers.

Vladivostok, where the port freezes in winter, is further south than Marseille, on the Riviera.

Is tourist traffic to Cuba totally cut off since the Fuhrer's reign has begun or can you still go? It is relatively cheap and the weather is pleasant.

I think we can still go. I haven't heard anything stating we can't.

Hugs,

Greg