Jennifer Hudson Revisited

jjkrkwood
This topic is 2342 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone remember THIS performance by Jennifer from the TV show SMASH ????

I was feeling nostalgic and missing my partner after my turkey dinner, and pulled out this video, which I think is one of her most beautiful performances of a very heart tugging song, so relevant for me even after 17 yrs of missing him.... (no, I'm not drunk !)

It has always been weird and very crazy. Jennifer Hudson has a phenomenal voice. There is no arguing with that. But for some reason I put up a wall. I just always think of her as Jennifer Holliday-lite. Nutty, Nutty. Here's something I had never seen before. The two of them before this everybody has too be totally skinny phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5o25gB36gY

I've always liked Jennifer, but I started to LOVE her after her appearance on SMASH and her singing the OP song. She also did a version of it on the 2015 Academy Awards in Memoriam segment, and once again, I was mesmerized. I love her on The Voice as a coach... She seems to be getting better with Age... All is not lost after losing American Idol.

Hudson's voice is fine, if not extremely one-note.

Perhaps with age she'll realize that some of the best vocalists know when to gently color a phrase rather than just trumpet like a horn.

Her acting is something else entirely. I was never so happy as to see when Heather Headley took over as Shug in Broadway's Color Purple.

The video above is a perfect example of someone just mimicking a vocal and not making it their own. She could have a nice voice, but she needs training. You can see and hear her ticks that she uses to get through the notes.

• 4 weeks later...