San Diego

Derrick Rigg
This topic is 2367 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys, I'm looking at moving to San Diego for a job. I know it is an expensive city to live. Anyone have any insight or recommendations on where to live at a reasonable cost? good gyms?

If you want reasonably priced housing, the closest neighborhood is called "Arizona". The commute is about 3 hours. :D

But seriously gentrifying neighborhoods like Normal Heights and City Heights sometimes offer the most for your money. But they have some rough areas. Check out North Park and South Park too.

Surprisingly there can be (relatively) cheap rentals near the beach--I'm thinking Mission/Ocean/Pacific Beach-- if you don't mind living in an older building that may not have air conditioning.

The two big gym chains out here are LA Fitness and 24 Hour. They both offer middle of the road gyms with usually pretty rank locker rooms. If you belong to Costco, you can buy a discounted membership to 24 Hour. They have branches everywhere.

I've never been there but World Gym in PB has a reputation as being a place for serious lifters.

Edited by BlueSky

Derrick:

You are going to love San Diego. I used to live there, it recently moved back east. I had a house in La Jolla, which is pretty pricey. Stay away from Pacific or Missin Beach. So gross. Unless your 19years old. North Park is great. Hill rest would be fine. Or so expensive and around all the gays. Depends what you are looking for.

I lived in UTC for a few years and enjoyed that.

@Derrick Rigg Good luck with your move. I agree with most of the other replies. Reasonable cost is relative and depends on priorities. Do you want a pedestrian neighborhood, does a longer commute bother you, etc. You'll pay less for a place with no A/C or washer/dryer in unit - if that works for you. I've lived Downtown and loved that even though it's a bit pricey. The East Village is in the downtown area but less developed (for now) and you can probably still get a better deal. Greener areas are near Balboa Park - Hillcrest is wonderful if you want the gay scene, and North Park is right next to Hillcrest but edgier and less expensive. Feel free to PM if you want more details.

@Derrick Rigg Good luck with your move. I agree with most of the other replies. Reasonable cost is relative and depends on priorities. Do you want a pedestrian neighborhood, does a longer commute bother you, etc. You'll pay less for a place with no A/C or washer/dryer in unit - if that works for you. I've lived Downtown and loved that even though it's a bit pricey. The East Village is in the downtown area but less developed (for now) and you can probably still get a better deal. Greener areas are near Balboa Park - Hillcrest is wonderful if you want the gay scene, and North Park is right next to Hillcrest but edgier and less expensive. Feel free to PM if you want more details.

Thanks so much for the ground level view of things in San Diego. Much appreciated.

Hey guys, I'm looking at moving to San Diego for a job. I know it is an expensive city to live. Anyone have any insight or recommendations on where to live at a reasonable cost? good gyms?

I was transferred to San Diego almost 3 years ago. It is a VERY expensive city for housing, gas, etc. I live in Hillcrest and really enjoy that neighborhood. But, I work in La Jolla. My studio apt in Hillcrest is furnished, utilities included, free WIFI, cable, and covered (underground) parking. I pay $1,ooo per month and that be doubled if I relocated to La Jolla. The down side to my apt is that it is only 170 square feet. But, it is safe and I'm very cheap.

FYI, this is my 3rd time living here. The first time I had a 600 square foot studio in La Mesa for $150 per month.

I was transferred to San Diego almost 3 years ago. It is a VERY expensive city for housing, gas, etc. I live in Hillcrest and really enjoy that neighborhood. But, I work in La Jolla. My studio apt in Hillcrest is furnished, utilities included, free WIFI, cable, and covered (under ground) parking. I pay $1,ooo per month and that be doubled if I relocated to La Jolla. The down side to my apt is that it is only 170 square feet. But, it is safe and I'm very cheap.

FYI, this is my 3rd time living here. The first time I had a 600 square foot studio in La Mesa for $150 per month.

Thanks for input. Yes, I'm not sure how long work would be there on a contract to hire - 6 months to permanent. Can't remember state employment tax rate-did it go up recently? How are the utility costs?

Thanks for input. Yes, I'm not sure how long work would be there on a contract to hire - 6 months to permanent. Can't remember state employment tax rate-did it go up recently? How are the utility costs?

I would seriously suggest you try a situation like mine if you're on a contract to hire situation. Get yourself a cheap place until you know if it's going to be a permanent position. Feel free to PM me if you want info on my specific apt. Not a lot of room but it sure meets my needs. And, it also has on-site laundry and room cleaning 2 times per month.

Don't know about employment tax rate. But, I have to pay an addition $5K per year since my employer's "standard" deduction is not enough. But, I just roll the additional amount each month into a savings account so I have the $$ on hand. Don't know about utility costs since it's included in my rent. But, I have co-workers complaining about their utility bills. And I just gased up at Costco for $3.05 per gallon. Stations near me are $3.50+ per gallon. They just raised the gas tax $0.12 per gallon this month. The state will raise gas tax to $0.60 per gallon over the next 3 years.