Masseur vs masseuse

NYMassageAddict
This topic is 2384 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is it okay to point out this confusion to others?

I somehow feel correcting other people’s spelling and grammatical errors is frowned upon on social media.

For me it’s okay. I take it as an opportunity for learning.

I think it's ok to do it in writing, perhaps in public it would seem rude, but honestly I would rather know if it were me so as to avoid making the same mistake again. Also, like most things, it depends how it is handled

Edited by hornytwells

I somehow feel correcting other people’s spelling and grammatical errors is frowned upon on social media.

I thought that's what social media lived for. :-)

I gave up a long time ago on correcting others on the internet, but I feel a closer relationship with the people here - which is why I've pointed out masseuse vs masseur myself in the past. That, and it's so close to what this forum is all about.

But I doubt that pointing it out will make any difference. it'll be about as effective as people posting signs in the company kitchen saying "if you take the last cup, make a new pot". It's not that people are unaware of the rule, they just don't care.

there is the trend to do away with names that denote the gender of a person; you don't hear the word "actress" any longer; an actor is one who acts of either gender; I recently realized that the word "testatrix" (a female who signs a will) is archaic, and all those who sign wills are now "testators."

there is the trend to do away with names that denote the gender of a person; you don't hear the word "actress" any longer; an actor is one who acts of either gender; I recently realized that the word "testatrix" (a female who signs a will) is archaic, and all those who sign wills are now "testators."

So what is it for the massage industry, massage therapist?

I know it’s a simple mistake, but for the record, a masseuse is a female who provides massage while a masseur is a male who provides the massage.

For the sake of 99% of conversations on this board, people should refer to a masseur NOT a masseuse.

That is all.

Maybe those who mistake masseur for masseuse are simply having a blond - blonde? - moment.

Is it okay to point out this confusion to others?

For me it’s okay. I take it as an opportunity for learning.

1) Be polite and friendly about it

2) Try to do it one on one, rather than in a forum environment

I always use this simple way to remember : A male massage therapist is a Masseur ( as in SIR = male).......a female massage therapist is a Masseuse. So when I forget, I just think of the male word...SIR....and right away I remember a male massage therapist is a Masseur (SIR). It has helped me many times when I forget the difference between the two.

I remember years ago I had a massage with a masseur I had seen in an erotic wrestling video. In my nervousness I asked, " how long have you been a masseuse?" He took my hand placed it on his large flacid penis and said, "Masseur, this is what makes me a Masseur and it has been 5 years."

Never mixed up the two words again.

I'd say just listen to the sound of it and/or look for that additional s or double-s:

host / hostess

actor / actress

masseur / masseuse

and it becomes pretty easy!

Just don't get me started on how "data" and "media" are plurals but everyone, including the uber-educated TV anchoress :) Rachel Maddow, use them as if they were singular.