Dr wrote a false thing in my medical record

rustyrex
This topic is 2412 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Actually IIRC medical records are the property of the physician's office. The patient has a right to see them.

Actually, the law iis in flux in several Districts ---- The Information as a Disc/written report/video/and any other electronic media belong to the medical provider ---- HOWEVER as the caselaw stands today

the Information contained therein in the various records formats are property of the Patient.

This is so medical providers cannot keep a patient from accessing their own records to evaluate and share with whomever - Different Docs Hosp etc ---

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Department of Health and Human Services, which administers HIPAA, publishes this handy guide to individuals' rights. It also has a nice FAQ page.

Based on a quick read of both documents, there is nothing preventing a heathcare provider from requesting you fill out a form to see or receive a copy of your medical records. They can even charge a reasonable fee to cover the cost of making a copy and sending it.

The issue I have with "telling my friend who works for the doctor" instead of "submitting a formal request to change the information" is my friend could tell (or simply not tell) the doctor anything he wanted. Based on some of the comments posted above, it seems some members would be comfortable with their healthcare provider taking an employee's word that a patient wants their record changed. I do not wish to see the healthcare provider who does that. Obviously, if I see that my physician made a mistake in front of me I would be comfortable with telling him to correct it. I would not "ask my friend" to have it changed.

1) Confront Him About the Record (Be Prepared to Look for a new Doc)

2) File a Complaint for HIPPA Violation

3) Report a Violation to the State Medical Board - for False Records - and Defamation

4) Set his house on fire - When he runs out - Kick his Ass!

I had a Situation Where I wasa in Excruciating Pain due to a fracture post surgery - he reported that

everything was FINE and I reported no pain and it was a surgical success -- as a result I could not get meds for pain management or reasonable accomadation for work. He lives a block from me -

never apologized - refuse to change the report -- I still spit on his car -- And I have a new Doc

Medicine is a Business - Demand your rights as a consumer --

What!!! I am a physician, we are human and we are bound to make mistakes buddy. Let's not set any house on fire, kick anyone's ass or report anyone just yet. All the OP needs to do is to contact the physician and and get that part of his medical records expunged since it is false. I don't think the physician committed any HIPAA violation here, unless I am reading something wrong.

What!!! I am a physician, we are human and we are bound to make mistakes buddy. ...

Don't pull that "human" shit on us. We all know the error "mistake" was a grievous and wanton attempt at recording knowingly false information in an attempt to prevent the OP from ever receiving health or life insurance, being hired for a job, or even adopting a sick, stray kitten from the Humane Society. (That's sarcasm)

...Let's not set any house on fire, kick anyone's ass or report anyone just yet. All the OP needs to do is to contact the physician and and get that part of his medical records expunged since it is false. I don't think the physician committed any HIPAA violation here, unless I am reading something wrong.

HIPAA was introduced in relation to the friend (who was later revealed to be the physician's nurse) asking the doctor to change the record at the OP's request. We all know you quacks would like nothing better than to hand out copies of our medical history to everyone walking down the street (That's more sarcasm)

Speaking of sarcasm, I think @Bearofdistinction was being sarcastic when he recommended arson and ass-kicking.

Don't pull that "human" shit on us. We all know the error "mistake" was a grievous and wanton attempt at recording knowingly false information in an attempt to prevent the OP from ever receiving health or life insurance, being hired for a job, or even adopting a sick, stray kitten from the Humane Society. (That's sarcasm)

HIPAA was introduced in relation to the friend (who was later revealed to be the physician's nurse) asking the doctor to change the record at the OP's request. We all know you quacks would like nothing better than to hand out copies of our medical history to everyone walking down the street (That's more sarcasm)

Speaking of sarcasm, I think @Bearofdistinction was being sarcastic when he recommended arson and ass-kicking.

Hahahahahahaha @rvwnsd sarcasm has never been my strongest suit. Physicians get a lot of flak but some of us try really hard to be good you know lol

Hahahahahahaha @rvwnsd sarcasm has never been my strongest suit. Physicians get a lot of flak but some of us try really hard to be good you know lol

Oh, now you try to be all friendly! Sure.

But seriously, my former physician in San Diego is wonderful, as is his staff. I saw him for 16 years because of that. I like my current physician a lot, but I've only seen him since March so we do not yet have the same connection my previous doctor had. However, he is buddies with my former physician's medical partner whom I also like a lot.

It's a small world after all.

I was sitting in my shrink's office one day when she stopped to take an emergency call. My eyes were drawn to my chart which she had left open on the desk. Reading upside down, I saw that she had written, "Fussy old pervert with delusions of grandeur."

When she hung up, I reminded her that I was not that old, that my sexuality was perhaps a bit fluid but not abnormally so, and that I considered self-confidence to be a worthwhile trait. On the spot, I asked her to correct the file and update my chart.

She picked up her pen and immediately scribbled a line through the entry.

At least I thought she had. When I reached for a pen to write a check at the end of the session, I noticed that she had merely underlined the word "Fussy". http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Did you gets new psychologist ? Hope so.

Archived