Subtle warning signs and turnoffs

Capitano
This topic is 2412 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When it comes to trying a new masseur, obvious red flags include fake, stolen, or super old pix, numerous positive reviews that showed up all of a sudden, etc. These are immediate disqualifiers for me, I have been getting massages long enough to know that if it seems fishy, it's probably much worse than it seems. And it is almost never better than it seems.

In addition, I am finding that my tolerance for the following is going down as well:

1. Not posting a rate but have "ask" instead. At best, this implies awkwardness and too much work in setting things up & exchanging texts, so I simply avoid it.

2. If the masseur doesn't post rates for 90 minutes and especially if they say they don't do 90 minute appointments when you ask. I cannot think of a good reason for this and can think of many bad reasons to avoid longer appointments so I simply choose to move on.

3. I am not crazy about traveling masseurs to begin with, but may try someone who has good reviews here. However, am so done with those who stay at dumpy motels. Thanks but no thanks.

Interestingly, curt texts can be a warning sign but could also be a product of poor English or the person texting while driving etc. So this one could go either way, although having the masseur send clear and literate messages is always a plus.

Thoughts and other perspectives?

I agree with Capitano. I’d add that a table is essential. Massage on a bed is probably not a massage although I’ve had good experiences on a bed :-).

I resist the temptation of Backpage and Craigslist unless the masseur has ads on other sites. I used to like massagem4m but they have so many rules that I feel ambivalent. Ive used masseurfinder successfully but read the ad carefully before choosing someone. I like spas but lately it seems like the masseurs are on a road show and don’t stick around. I like to use the same masseur consistently so the road show is a turnoff.

Most of all I don’t choose a masseur with the expectation of “extras”. I think that is doomed for disappointment. If it happens - and it does - I’m delighted; and, if not I am not disappointed.

I agree with Capitano. I’d add that a table is essential. Massage on a bed is probably not a massage although I’ve had good experiences on a bed :).

I resist the temptation of Backpage and Craigslist unless the masseur has ads on other sites. I used to like massagem4m but they have so many rules that I feel ambivalent. Ive used masseurfinder successfully but read the ad carefully before choosing someone. I like spas but lately it seems like the masseurs are on a road show and don’t stick around. I like to use the same masseur consistently so the road show is a turnoff.

Most of all I don’t choose a masseur with the expectation of “extras”. I think that is doomed for disappointment. If it happens - and it does - I’m delighted; and, if not I am not disappointed.

Agreed. Although the bed can be good out of travel necessity.

Hi guys I believe to be a good masseur on masseurfinder.I have stopped asking clients for reviews after the first year of working. During that time I would get 4 or 5 reviews a month. Rarely 2 were in a row. So if you see a lot of reviews, especially more than once a week on masseurfinder I don’t see how that’s possible unless they’ve reviewed themselves. I would say 1% of my clients reviewed me. I have done 3000 plus massages and only have 26 reviews on the website. I am a traveling masseur now. I don’t know about other people but I try to give my best and part of the reason is cause you guys are awesome and you deserve it. I had 3 or 4 bad encounters in the first year and have learned that the situation was bad because of my fault. I have learned my mistakes and never had a problem ever since. I find you to be very kind and considerate people amongst other good qualities.

Most of the times I try to text clearly and in full sentences with manners. Though sometimes I have been driving like one guy mentioned and I have not written in full sentences etc. I also try to have my table most of the time but in about 10% of the time it hasn’t been possible to have it. So forgive us if it’s not the case. I never stay in bad motels but sometimes I stay in 2 star safe hotels whom are at least rates 7/10 on priceline.

I am following this forum closely to learn the other side and to see how I can improve. I’m very glad this forum exists because I have also seen those honest reviews masseurfinder never posts. Some of mine weren’t pleasing but I believe improving my service is better than my pride. Lastly, I want to thank all of you.

I agree with Capitano. I’d add that a table is essential. Massage on a bed is probably not a massage although I’ve had good experiences on a bed :).

I so understand the urge given the obvious impact of the 2nd law of thermodynamics (sooner or later, everything turns into shit) on Masseurfinder, Rentmasseur, and Massagem4m. Yet, I just can't do it, these tend to be way too shady and cheap for my taste. I figure if someone wants to do this well, they should put up a decent ad on a major site, with some nice, authentic, and recent pictures. And if they don't want to do that, what's the likelihood they are good? Of the big 3, my favorite is Rentmasseur but they seem to be in decline wrt the number of listings, as the masseurs seem to gravitate toward the dreaded Masseurfinder. You'd think one would have no problem finding plenty of more than deserving candidates to spend $200-240 for a 90 minute massage but it definitely ain't so.

When it comes to trying a new masseur, obvious red flags include fake, stolen, or super old pix, numerous positive reviews that showed up all of a sudden, etc. These are immediate disqualifiers for me, I have been getting massages long enough to know that if it seems fishy, it's probably much worse than it seems. And it is almost never better than it seems.

In addition, I am finding that my tolerance for the following is going down as well:

1. Not posting a rate but have "ask" instead. At best, this implies awkwardness and too much work in setting things up & exchanging texts, so I simply avoid it.

2. If the masseur doesn't post rates for 90 minutes and especially if they say they don't do 90 minute appointments when you ask. I cannot think of a good reason for this and can think of many bad reasons to avoid longer appointments so I simply choose to move on.

3. I am not crazy about traveling masseurs to begin with, but may try someone who has good reviews here. However, am so done with those who stay at dumpy motels. Thanks but no thanks.

Interestingly, curt texts can be a warning sign but could also be a product of poor English or the person texting while driving etc. So this one could go either way, although having the masseur send clear and literate messages is always a plus.

Thoughts and other perspectives?

I agree on many of these points. I would also add if there are no face pics, very vague ad in general and no contact phone number makes it questionable for me.

I've been looking at NYC masseurs for my upcoming visit, so I noticed one more subtle warning sign and one not so subtle:

4. It troubles me when a masseur cannot make up his mind about how tall he is. I am pretty sure they all KNOW but for some reason many will reference, for example, 5'9" and 5'7" in the same ad. I don't care whether this is stupid, careless, or whatever, it's just a big turnoff in my books. Plus how can I trust anything else that they say then?

OK, the not so subtle warning sign is when someone posts a rate that is clearly out of whack, so you have to wonder whether they are, again, just stupid, careless, of whatever, including possibly even serious. Case in point:

https://www.massagem4m.com/masseur/18575/

Oh, come ON, Victor, $150 ($200 outcall) for 30 minutes?! And no rate posted for one hour, what is this, an ad for a gunpoint robbery?

Archived