I'm Still Here-Whose version is best?

Guest DeepSouthDad53
This topic is 2396 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest DeepSouthDad53

In case this has been covered before, my apologies. But I did search before posting. Of the following, whose rendition of Sondheim's "I'm Still Here" is best?

1. Yvonne de Carlo

2. Carol Burnett

3. Dolores Gray

4. Elaine Stritch

Guest DeepSouthDad53

When I first posted a mere four days ago, I knew only the four I listed plus maybe two or three others who had performed or recorded it. I had no idea about Eartha Kitt and many others I've discovered by browsing online, most notably Polly Bergen.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
I did see the "Follies" revival with Polly Bergen

She apparently played the character as a sloppy but triumphant drunk-way more more acidic than the others I've seen. I assume that was her intent? For some reason, I can imagine Rosalind Russell doing it that way.

She apparently played the character as a sloppy but triumphant drunk-way more more acidic than the others I've seen.

Yes, but not even close to the degree you suggest. Just a slight variation from the way most people sing I'm Still Here. Polly Bergen did win an Emmy award for acting, and, long ago. she was a superb panelist on To Tell The Truth.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
Yes, but not even close to the degree you suggest. Just a slight variation from the way most people sing I'm Still Here. Polly Bergen did win an Emmy award for acting, and, long ago. she was a superb panelist on To Tell The Truth.

I remember her in Winds of War (mid 80s?), but by the time I was old enough to go to movies by myself or buy records, she was pitching products in TV commercials like many of her cohorts (e.g. June Allyson, Rosemary Clooney). So I had no idea of her range until very recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived