Totally New Subject-Car Detailing Specifially Carpet

Gar1eth
This topic is 2417 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had to carry a large amour of soft drinks in my car recently-as in Thursday. One of the containers sprang a leak. :mad: I had a lake of Coke on the floorboard of the passenger side. Luckily I had a bath towel in the car-so handy for so many things-and soaked it up. The towel was sopping wet-still is as I threw it into a glad plastic garbage bag in my hatch area and left it there as I was not home for the last two days.

So I sopped up the lake, the floorboard carpet was still wet but eventually dried out. Now obviously the surface of the carpet is stiff. On the good side, my car smells a bit like cotton candy-or was that the leftover salted caramel frappachino cup from Starbucks?:rolleyes:

But as I was saying the carpet is a bit stiff. I'm envisioning a sticky mess on the underside of the carpet between the carpet and the metal of the car. I can't afford to have the carpeting replaced in the car. What do I do to clean it up?

Gman

I was trying to avoid that expense. I was thinking of renting a steamer myself.

I was also worried about the gunk underneath. Wondering whether if the carpet had to be taken up to get at it.

Gman

No they don't have to take out your carpet to steam clean it. They just run the machine over the carpet.

Have you tried just a basic cleaning?

Like Resolve, stuff you spray on home carpet and vacuum?

Have you searched Amazon or auto supplies sites for auto carpet cleaners?

My concern is not actually for the 'top' part of the carpet-more for the backside and the metal or whatever surface underlies the carpet. I'm imagining a sticky dried puddle of Coke.

Gman

My concern is not actually for the 'top' part of the carpet-more for the backside and the metal or whatever surface underlies the carpet. I'm imagining a sticky dried puddle of Coke.

Gman

Borrow a standard steam cleaner from a friend or rent a cleaner. There’s little difference between a rug in a car and a rug in a house. If the steam cleaner left pools of soda in a car, it would leave them in a house. Then all the houses cleaned among teenage parties would have pools of soda left. I believe you’re overthinking.

One of my hobbies is that I collect, restore, and show antique/classic/special interest automobiles. It sounds as if your spilled Coke situation is still, relatively, fresh. I suggest going to Target/Kroger/Pep Boys/O'Reily's (or wherever) and purchasing several (three or four) cans of carpet cleaner and follow the directions. That should solve your problem. If it does not, and you plan to keep the car, I would suggest taking the car to a professional detail shop. My detailer will shampoos/clean the carpets as well as do a complete interior detail for $100.00. Another shop that I use will clean just the carpeting for about $50.00. One thing: If the spilled item was Diet Coke (or just about any diet drink), the issue of staining and other problems is dramatically reduced as diet drinks are mostly water with no sugar (sugar is the main culprit that causes problems when it is in a soft drink and spilled). Good luck!!

Over the summer a bottle of shower gel opened up and the entire thing spilled on the floor of the third row of seats in my car. the shower gel was fragranced with a brand of men's cologne and so the car reeked of this stuff. I ended up having to get the car detailed, but the good news is it cost only $60.

Archived