Masseurs' math when going from 60 to 90 min.

7829V
This topic is 2405 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've noticed several masseurs charge more per minute when you hire them for 90 min... Why would they do that? Common sense says that you should charge less the more you buy. I wonder their reasoning behind this.

Yes! What happened to economies of scale?

I think that they can't do simple arithmetic -- really. It's as simple as that. Why else would someone charge a higher rate when he's getting more income?

Yeah some of them look really confused when I point it out. And they don’t get it sometimes. One of even deleted the 90 min rate and only does 60 minutes now. I guess math for 90 min was too complicated. Also they get confused when I say 1.5 hours instead of 90 minutes. LOL.

I would always ask first before assuming the masseur is stupid. I was told by a few masseurs that the 90 minute rate is more expensive because of the play time involved rather than 60. One masseur told me for his 60 minutes it's 45 minute massage/15 minute HE,etc. for the 90 it was 1 hour massage/30 minute HE,etc.

Of course, this varies by masseur.

Guest InthePines

Good question. In a word I would say "extras". My preferred masseur. who I consider to be the best in the city, charges $120,(outcall), for a sixty minute massage, $180 for a ninety and $260 for 120 minutes. I usually, and joyfully give him $300, for he often goes past the two hours and it's more of an experience than a massage. That said, and I never ask nor talk about his other clients, but I'm dubious that his one hour clients receive the same level of service.

Great question. Unfortunately, like so many things in life, it's complicated. When you see this, it could be any of the things referenced above, and the worst part is that many (not all but many) masseurs will be reluctant to fully clarify what's going on in text message exchanges with new clients. Most probably keep in the back of their minds that any new contact could be some sort of setup, or they could simply be reluctant to promise "too much."

So, despite some straightforward economies of scale in setting up appointments, cleaning between clients, etc. we still see this, and the reason could be any of the following:

1. The masseur just doesn't understand the math or economics of the enterprise, this is probably a significant chunk.

2. The masseur finds the longer massage tiring, or taxing in some other way, for example, if higher-paying, longer-appointment-preferring clients tend to expect more sensuality than the masseur is willing to accommodate. So it's basically meant to discourage the practice, but then the question becomes why offer longer sessions in the first place? This is a minority, but significant one.

3. The longer massage comes with more interaction & sensuality, and the personal cost to the masseur of delivering this is higher. This is probably a majority, but not an overwhelming majority :-(

Finding feedback from several forum members here is probably one's only reliable way to resolve this uncertainty. It's really a shot in the dark otherwise. I typically don't worry about the relative cost of the extra time beyond one hour. However, I will not make 1 hour appointments, that's just too little time for a meaningful relaxing experience in my books, and I see not offering at least 90-minute long appointments as a red flag.

On a side note, I think I've helped 2 of my favorite 5 masseurs with the issue of different session lengths and their pricing, and I've been getting extra warm welcome and good bye hugs and maybe a nice extra here and there in between ever since :)

On a side note, I think I've helped 2 of my favorite 5 masseurs with the issue of different session lengths and their pricing, and I've been getting extra warm welcome and good bye hugs and maybe a nice extra here and there in between ever since
This is an insightful response. My experience with mostly Asian masseurs is they are doing massage to make money after coming to the U.S. Several I have met are educated and will pursue other opps in the U.S. Many others are not well educated, not sophisticated, and lack command of English. On masseurfinder, massagem4m, rentmasseur, and other sites, these guys copy other ads, pricing, etc.

A few masseurs have straight out asked for some help but other times I asked about their ad and offered to make suggestions for them to consider. I have helped five masseurs, two of whom are still in the business, and their ads are almost verbatim what I wrote. While my sample is small, they did not understand discounts, add-on pricing, or how to charge beyond the standard 60 minute service. There is one masseur whose outcall rate is higher than his incall even though he rents space. I asked him about it and he shared that he was afraid to go to strange apartments.

It's been pointed out many times on this Forum but the best approach is to ask! If the question is asked without coming across like an effort to negotiate the price downward, my belief is the masseur will be forthcoming.

Archived