"It's Almost Like Praying"

bostonman
This topic is 2398 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I debated whether this should be posted here or in the politics section - but I'm posting here.

This is the new song by Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton, In The Heights) that he wrote as a benefit and personal tribute to Puerto Rico, post hurricane Maria. The song's lyric reference to the Sondheim/Bernstein song from West Side Story is of course no accident (Miranda was also involved in writing some Spanish lyrics that were used in the last Broadway revival of the classic musical) - he said this in an NPR interview:

"I've got a musical theater brain. Some people have different kinds of brains — math and science — that's what I've got. I was very aware even as it was happening that this was the worst hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in a hundred years, and I knew that "Maria" would forever have a different connotation on the island as a result of that. And that's my favorite song from West Side Story. So I began thinking about that song and the lyrics and a way to flip it into something positive. So really the first call I made before I even started writing the song was to the [Leonard] Bernstein estate and to Stephen Sondheim asking for permission to quote that lyric."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/05/555855858/lin-manuel-miranda-explains-how-he-made-his-new-benefit-song-for-puerto-rico

The song's lyric is mostly made up of Puerto Rico's 78 towns and cities, and is sung by an impressive roster of latino singers. Even if you don't understand the lyrics, you can feel the spirit and the love, and the drive.

Gracias, Senor Miranda.

The lyrics, with annotations, can be found here:

https://genius.com/12811217

• 4 weeks later...

Archived