Overheard on the Beach

actor61
This topic is 2458 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Might I submit that young lifeguard wasn't being entirely homophobic, but just identifying (colorfully or hatefully) that portion of a group of homosexual men who were looking at him like he was a piece of meat?

Would you have been just as upset if he'd said "The lechers kept staring at me?"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a public employee, right? I probably would have reminded him that since his pay comes from every taxpayer that he should be more smart about making derogatory comments while at work so as not to lose his job. If that didn't elicit an apology I might have lodged a formal complaint.

I would report the incident to his supervisor. It does no good in my opinion to confront him as it will not change him and perhaps start a beach fight which would not do any good. However, if his supervisor has a talk with him about the way the public must be treated in 2017, he may act differently. The supervisor may also impress upon him that public jobs often depend upon how the public is treated. And if he does not, you did what you could do.

Well said @TruthBTold. That's a great way to approach it too.

@actor61, sorry if my comment felt like an attack. As my wife has remarked more than once, when it comes to issues of equality and social justice, I frequently view the world as a "teachable moment." :eek: I probably reacted the way I did mostly because my family was there and I don't believe in a world where my kids might experience the kinds of discrimination and bigotry that I did when I was much younger. Yes, I'm optimistically delusional that history does arc toward equality & justice. Any way, enjoy your Summer! :cool:

LivingnLA, I could only advise it because I was a public employee and often had to advise the public exactly what to do. Of course, people think that it hard to find out the name of employees, etc., etc., etc. And sometimes it is. But if you believe deeply in it you can do it. People have to understand that how much these words hurt and how much damage they can do over the long haul. I am so sorry that your children were there to hear the insensitivity.

Archived