Burt Lancaster

azdr0710
This topic is 2525 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

yeah, I know, I know......sorta weird for The Gallery, but found this great shot of him from some Western he was in and had to create a thread out of it......great grin and eyes!!.....some rumors that he was bisexual.....

fcac9b3ed22cbf1245f489c7cec1aa83--vera-cruz-vintage-hollywood.jpg

d04e2afe782e6d4f27e116b8e10a850f--hollywood-stars-classic-hollywood.jpg

inlove_cc.jpg

http://thegreatwesternmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/VeraCruzBurt.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KawQDlhBMCo/UJQGYFWk3rI/AAAAAAAAPdo/NOLKL5vW4qM/s1600/BurtLancaster04.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/MovieJoe/silver/bronze/Platinum/diamond/sagebrush/gary.jpg

And his politics were a bonus...

Burt Lancaster :

November 2, 1913 - October 20, 1994

Political views

Lancaster was a vocal supporter of liberal political causes, and frequently spoke out in support of racial minorities, including at the March on Washington in 1963. He was a vocal opponent of the Vietnam War and political movements such as McCarthyism, and he helped pay for the successful defense of a soldier accused of "fragging" (murdering) another soldier during the war.Buford 2008, p. 266. In 1968, Lancaster actively supported the presidential candidacy of antiwar Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota, and frequently spoke on his behalf during the Democratic primaries. He heavily campaigned for George McGovern in the 1972 presidential election. In 1985, Lancaster, a longtime supporter of gay rights, joined the fight against AIDS after his close friend, Rock Hudson, contracted the disease. He campaigned for Michael Dukakis in the 1988 presidential election.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
some rumors that he was bisexual..

I'm not big on sexual labels or categories, but he always struck me as a straight guy who knew he had a nice body and was very secure with nude shots

I'm not big on sexual labels or categories, but he always struck me as a straight guy who knew he had a nice body and was very secure with nude shots

He, Kirk Douglas, Stephen Boyd, Charlton Heston were just too over-the-top for me. All that grinning, eye flashing and gnashing of teeth irritated me. Boyd, by the way, was gay. Raquel Welch tells a very funny story about trying to seduce him when they were filming "Fantastic Voyage" and how long it took her to understand that his polite refusal had nothing to do with her.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
He, Kirk Douglas, Stephen Boyd, Charlton Heston were just too over-the-top for me

It may be that there are degrees of over-the-top. I know little about Boyd, but I would definitely place Heston on the high end of the over-the-top spectrum. Douglas and Lancaster weren't nearly as cheesy as that ham Heston.

And his politics were a bonus...

Burt Lancaster :

November 2, 1913 - October 20, 1994

Political views

Lancaster was a vocal supporter of liberal political causes, and frequently spoke out in support of racial minorities, including at the March on Washington in 1963. He was a vocal opponent of the Vietnam War and political movements such as McCarthyism, and he helped pay for the successful defense of a soldier accused of "fragging" (murdering) another soldier during the war.Buford 2008, p. 266. In 1968, Lancaster actively supported the presidential candidacy of antiwar Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota, and frequently spoke on his behalf during the Democratic primaries. He heavily campaigned for George McGovern in the 1972 presidential election. In 1985, Lancaster, a longtime supporter of gay rights, joined the fight against AIDS after his close friend, Rock Hudson, contracted the disease. He campaigned for Michael Dukakis in the 1988 presidential election.

fcac9b3ed22cbf1245f489c7cec1aa83--vera-cruz-vintage-hollywood.jpg

Two things. I had to remind myself (again) not to judge a book by its cover. I would never have guessed that those were his politics. I'm not sure why but I guess I just lumped him in with all the other straight Hollywood guys. I wonder if anyone has done a biography of him. Second, the color of his eyes are amazing.

Guest DeepSouthDad53
I would never have guessed that those were his politics. I'm not sure why but I guess I just lumped him in with all the other straight Hollywood guys.

Other than John Wayne and, to a lesser degree, Robert Mitchum, what A list straight Hollywood actors of that caliber were not liberal? Yes, there's Ronnie Reagan, but I don't place him in the same league as Lancaster and Douglas.

Archived