"The Big Sick"

actor61
This topic is 2489 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It was a stormy, very rainy day yesterday, so I went to the movies and had a wonderful time seeing "The Big Sick". It is a quietly superb film and I really recommend it to anyone who thinks rom-coms are dead or should be. The performances are wonderful from everyone but the big surprise is Ray Romano as the father. I think what he does is worthy of an Oscar nomination. The screenplay will probably get one and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie gets a Best Picture nod.

I loved it too!! Such a spot-on assessment @actor61! Holly Hunter is still such a badass. I can see her being in contention for a Best Supporting nom as well.

I have never, ever liked Holly Hunter but after "The Big Sick", I'm a fan. She's just terrific. But I still think Ray Romano's is the best performance in the film. He's really perfect as the conflicted, loving, awkward dad. Hunter has some big, flashy moments that she handles brilliantly but I just admired so much the way Romano putt-putts along as the girl's father trying to do the right thing and getting smacked down nearly every time. The scene on the air mattress when he confesses that he was unfaithful is a great piece of acting.

I have never, ever liked Holly Hunter but after "The Big Sick", I'm a fan. She's just terrific. But I still think Ray Romano's is the best performance in the film. He's really perfect as the conflicted, loving, awkward dad. Hunter has some big, flashy moments that she handles brilliantly but I just admired so much the way Romano putt-putts along as the girl's father trying to do the right thing and getting smacked down nearly every time. The scene on the air mattress when he confesses that he was unfaithful is a great piece of acting.

Holly Hunter has been amazing in so many things, how have you not noticed?!

Holly Hunter has been amazing in so many things, how have you not noticed?!

Oh, I've noticed, and I acknowledge her talent but I just don't like her. It's purely subjective. I don't like Anthony Hopkins either, and he's certainly distinguished himself, and I'll probably have to turn in my gay membership card because I have never liked Streisand, Cher or Diana Ross.

Oh, I've noticed, and I acknowledge her talent but I just don't like her. It's purely subjective. I don't like Anthony Hopkins either, and he's certainly distinguished himself, and I'll probably have to turn in my gay membership card because I have never liked Streisand, Cher or Diana Ross.

sacré bleu!

Archived