Sponsoring a "friend" for tourist visa (B2)

cany10011
This topic is 2519 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone considered or actually sponsored a "friend" to visit you from abroad? I know there is the visa waiver program (VWP), but this only applies to 38 countries. I met someone recently in Stockholm on my travels who is from Byelorussia, which is not on the VWP and requires a letter of invitation to visit me in nyc. Not sure how involved it is....i don't think he has many ties in Stockholm (where he is residing now, and although very educated, he isn't working in his current line of work). I guess i answered the question myself.... Anyone have any other ideas? I think i may just have to go there again to visit him :) or meet up somewhere in the EU.

According to the State Department website...

Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.

Which makes sense. The US wants assurance that the visitor is going back to his country of residence...

There are so many concerns to take into consideration. I've had friends who did the same thing you're trying to do. Some turned out great and not so much for others. Stick to visiting him. Unless of course you're feeling more for him than just enjoying your time with him.

I've had quite a bit of experience with Mexican and Costa Rican friends getting tourist visas. The link above is very useful, and as noted, a Letter of Invitation really carries no weight. It could help explain purpose of the trip, but it's really all about demonstrating he can afford to be a tourist and that he has ties to his home country. A job is best. Proof that he is starting school the next semester is persuasive. Things like that.

From that website.

• The purpose of your trip;
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

The fact that your friend has no apparent ties to his resident city or home country do not bode well. We had no luck getting a visa for a young Costa Rican friend who works a menial job and had no money in the bank. There was no option for saying, "My friend will be paying the expenses."

Thanks Mikey for the info. I think i will try for the tourist visa and if it works, fine. I doubt it will work as he doesn't really have ties in Stockholm, but i think he is there as the social benefits are good. Nice hot guy. I'll try making arrangements to meet up with him in Barcelona or Paris for a nice long weekend.

I've had quite a bit of experience with Mexican and Costa Rican friends getting tourist visas. The link above is very useful, and as noted, a Letter of Invitation really carries no weight. It could help explain purpose of the trip, but it's really all about demonstrating he can afford to be a tourist and that he has ties to his home country. A job is best. Proof that he is starting school the next semester is persuasive. Things like that.

From that website.

• The purpose of your trip;
  • Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.

The fact that your friend has no apparent ties to his resident city or home country do not bode well. We had no luck getting a visa for a young Costa Rican friend who works a menial job and had no money in the bank. There was no option for saying, "My friend will be paying the expenses."

Archived