Warning - Your Printer Is Spying On You! - Leak With Caution

MasssageGuy
This topic is 2548 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is a fascinating read. I remember years ago after the introduction of the Xerox color copier that kids in Marin County California Xeroxed 100 dollar bills that were so real, they alarmed the feds....

What I did not know is that a secret deal was made to encode each page with printer identification informati

"How tech sleuths cracked the mysterious code that turns your printer into a spying tool"

Merlin_285501-1024x675.jpg&w=1484

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/09/how-tech-sleuths-cracked-the-mysterious-code-that-turns-your-printer-into-a-spying-tool/?hpid=hp_hp-morning-mix_mm-printers%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.c0030ac4c86d

Shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Many years ago I tried to scan a $50 bill (probably for a post here!) and was mildly surprised when it came out watermarked with the word "Counterfeit". Around that time I needed to supply a copy of my birth certificate to a new employer. It came out of the copier with the words "NOT AN OFFICIAL COPY" as a watermark.

This has been going on for 20 years.

This is a fascinating read. I remember years ago after the introduction of the Xerox color copier that kids in Marin County California Xeroxed 100 dollar bills that were so real, they alarmed the feds....

What I did not know is that a secret deal was made to encode each page with printer identification informati

"How tech sleuths cracked the mysterious code that turns your printer into a spying tool"

Merlin_285501-1024x675.jpg&w=1484

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/09/how-tech-sleuths-cracked-the-mysterious-code-that-turns-your-printer-into-a-spying-tool/?hpid=hp_hp-morning-mix_mm-printers:homepage/story&utm_term=.c0030ac4c86d

Thanks! This is information I was looking for to post else where!

Archived