Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is neither a documentary or a history lesson so I think artistic licence is allowed in a fictional movie, no?

I personally don't care. But generally if a movie, etc. is set in a particular time period there is actually a person that watches it or designs it so that everything fits in that time period or takes things out that do not.

No nomination for either Michael Stuhlbarg or Armie Hammer

In an off year, Michael Stuhlbarg might have stood a chance. There's too much competition this year, and Stuhlbarg's moment in the film, while devastatingly brilliant, lasted only a few minutes.

IMO, Armie Hammer's performance in the movie was never Oscar worthy. Oliver is not the Oscar-winning character. I suspect Armie knew/knows this. He's not shy about throwing a ton of credit Chalamet's way. I suspect Hammer also knows how the choice to be in the film will aid his career and the parts offered to him in the future. So great that the film got an Oscar nod. Very important.

In the book Oliver was from an admittedly conservative family. Also, he paid his way through college, so was somewhat free to make his own choices.

In the book my take on Oliver was being conflicted about not wanting to break Elio's heart (he's just a kid) but also trying to avoid his own broken heart. He said he didn't want any trouble, and that is what he was talking about, even though during the peach scene we already knew he'd fallen for Elio. I didn't feel Oliver that much in the movie, but Elio (T.C.) more than made up for that.

Good points.

I personally don't care. But generally if a movie, etc. is set in a particular time period there is actually a person that watches it or designs it so that everything fits in that time period or takes things out that do not.

Dont get me wrong-I agree with you in principal. But what I meant was that maybe that statue was not meant to be the actual one that was discovered but respresentative of the art, which is a reason it was allowed. But I agree that real anachronisms in time periods are an annoying especially if jt affects the plot credibility as it did for me in the florence foster jenkins movie

No nomination for either Michael Stuhlbarg or Armie Hammer...:mad:

Yay, Timothée Chalamet and James Ivory were nominated!

Nothing for Luca Guadagnino:mad:

But yay - nominated for Best Picture!

And for song!

The song nominated from CMBYN is 'Mystery of Love' by Sufjan Stevens.

If anyone is interested in the complete Academy Award list of nominations: http://highlighthollywood.com/2018/01/oscars-shape-of-water-leads-with-13-noms-daniel-day-lewis-mary-j-blige-dunkirk-among-nominees/

TruHart1 :cool:

Edited by TruHart1

It is neither a documentary or a history lesson so I think artistic licence is allowed in a fictional movie, no?

Yes, that's the usual excuse given for cinematic sloppiness. Since many in the audience will see the error, however, it fractures the essential suspension of disbelief, boomeranging one out of fiction and into reality. It's not like breaking your leg, so doesn't ruin the picture, but it is like stubbing your toe. Ouch!

Edited by Kenny

Yes, that's the usual excuse given for cinematic sloppiness. Since many in the audience will see the error, however, it fractures the essential suspension of disbelief, boomeranging one out of fiction and into reality. It's not like breaking your leg, so doesn't ruin the picture, but it is like stubbing your toe. Ouch!

My point was that it was not necessarily sloppiness but an artistic choice that the director didnt care. I have been a consultant on movies and tv from time to time, and it always frustrated me when I informed directors of anachronisms or factual errors. One famous ex star who was "directing' (and I use the term loosely) would say one day she wanted it to be accurate, but when facts would disturb her "vision" she would then say she knew but didnt care as it was not the point, and it wasnt supposed to be fiction anyway.

My point was that it was not necessarily sloppiness but an artistic choice that the director didnt care. I have been a consultant on movies and tv from time to time, and it always frustrated me when I informed directors of anachronisms or factual errors. One famous ex star who was "directing' (and I use the term loosely) would say one day she wanted it to be accurate, but when facts would disturb her "vision" she would then say she knew but didnt care as it was not the point, and it wasnt supposed to be fiction anyway.

You have just given one explanation (there are many) for why Hollywood produces so much crap. Artistic license to be idiotic, sentimental, visionary, sloppy, pretentious, etc., etc.

Luca Guadagnino Plans to Address the AIDS Epidemic in Call Me by Your NameSequel

By Jackson McHenry

25-luca-guadagnino.w190.h190.jpg

While Call Me by Your Name skirted many of the typical tropes of gay love story, its sequel may tackle one of them directly: the specter of HIV and AIDS. Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Guadagnino said the sequel, which will likely be set in the late 1980s around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall, will certainly address the epidemic. “I think it’s going to be a very relevant part of the story,” he said. “I think Elio [Timothée Chalamet] will be a cinephile, and I’d like him to be in a movie theater watching Paul Vecchiali’s Once More … That could be the first scene [in the sequel].” Once More (also known as Encore) was released in 1988 and was the first French feature film to address the disease.

If that were the opening scene, then the sequel would a far different tone than the sunnier original (and André Aciman’s original novel), that, it seems, is Guadagnino’s intention. “In my opinion, Call Me can be the first chapter of the chronicles of the life of these people that we met in this movie,” he said. “If the first one is a story of coming of age and becoming a young man, maybe the next chapter will be, what is the position of the young man in the world, what does he want — and what is left a few years later of such an emotional punch that made him who he is?” Not to give Luca any notes, but if we open with Elio watching Once More and wearing Billowy, the hand-me-down shirt he got from Oliver, that might be too much to bear.

Luca Guadagnino Plans to Address the AIDS Epidemic in Call Me by Your NameSequel

By Jackson McHenry

25-luca-guadagnino.w190.h190.jpg

While Call Me by Your Name skirted many of the typical tropes of gay love story, its sequel may tackle one of them directly: the specter of HIV and AIDS. Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Guadagnino said the sequel, which will likely be set in the late 1980s around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall, will certainly address the epidemic. “I think it’s going to be a very relevant part of the story,” he said. “I think Elio [Timothée Chalamet] will be a cinephile, and I’d like him to be in a movie theater watching Paul Vecchiali’s Once More … That could be the first scene [in the sequel].” Once More (also known as Encore) was released in 1988 and was the first French feature film to address the disease.

If that were the opening scene, then the sequel would a far different tone than the sunnier original (and André Aciman’s original novel), that, it seems, is Guadagnino’s intention. “In my opinion, Call Me can be the first chapter of the chronicles of the life of these people that we met in this movie,” he said. “If the first one is a story of coming of age and becoming a young man, maybe the next chapter will be, what is the position of the young man in the world, what does he want — and what is left a few years later of such an emotional punch that made him who he is?” Not to give Luca any notes, but if we open with Elio watching Once More and wearing Billowy, the hand-me-down shirt he got from Oliver, that might be too much to bear.

I know I read or saw an interview last week with Luca Guadagnino where he stated that he was in meetings with André Aciman, the author of the original novel, discussing the possible sequels for CMBYN. So Mr. Aciman appears to be set to be a part of the writing of any sequels Luca may plan. It speaks to the closeness of both cast and crew on CMBYN that when the possibility of a sequel was (jokingly) brought up, both Timothée and Armie said with no hesitation that they would drop everything to work on any sequel Luca may plan!

I know I read or saw an interview last week with Luca Guadagnino where he stated that he was in meetings with André Aciman, the author of the original novel, discussing the possible sequels for CMBYN. So Mr. Aciman appears to be set to be a part of the writing of any sequels Luca may plan. It speaks to the closeness of both cast and crew on CMBYN that when the possibility of a sequel was (jokingly) brought up, both Timothée and Armie said with no hesitation that they would drop everything to work on any sequel Luca may plan!

I'm curious how the budget for the sequel will compare, whether the CMBYN box office and eventual DVD/rental/download revenue will be encouraging to investors looking at the sequel. Sounds like part of the reason Ivory did not direct was lack of budget. The critical acclaim will likely raise interest, but not as much as the total revenue.

I'm encouraged there will be a sequel and wonder if the chemistry will be even better. These two seem to have little problem romping around together to make the scenes work.

However the sequel unfolds, I'm looking forward to it, and hope Sufjan is involved.

Edited by OCClient

I'm curious how the budget for the sequel will compare, whether the CMBYN box office and eventual DVD/rental/download revenue will be encouraging to investors looking at the sequel. Sounds like part of the reason Ivory did not direct was lack of budget. I'm encouraged to there will be a sequel and expect the chemistry to be even better. These two seem to enjoy romping around together, as in they will not hesitate to make there scenes work. However, the sequel unfolds, I'm looking forward to it, and hope Sufjan is involved.

This one cost $3.5M if I remember correctly. This one will be profitable. I doubt any of the principals have a back-end deal.

Do you ever have anything nice to say? Just askin'

I might have been just as protective of Hitchcock's 1950s film "Vertigo" when it was first released if there was an internet then.

The film stars James Stewart Kim Novak and Barbara Bel Geddes.

"Vertigo" was far from a smash hit early on. It took years from the film to rank as one of the all-time greatest film. Some people now claim it as the greatest film over "Citizen Kane."

My point: A reaction against CMBYN will happen.

I find it hard to rank the really great films one over another because each has its own great elements. There are some that introduce elements never seen/used before so that the entire work is great. The script in one might be great while the actual filming is not necessarily greater than any other that year. I PERSONALLY do not think there is one "greatest" film but rather an assortment of great films.