NYC: The Pillowman

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know Isherwood 's snotty NYTimes piece yesterday nearly dismissed the brilliant The Pillowman because it's only about storytelling, and nothing more; but that is what makes it better and best, I think. See it before Jeff Goldblum returns to sunny California.

It just might scare the shit out of you, and if not, you'll at least give serious thought to how we tell stories. Todd Solondz could learn a lot from Martin McDonagh.

Enjoy

http://www.pillowmanonbroadway.com/

-RH

http://www.RodHagen.com

-Hagen

On the other hand, the New Yorker reviewer Hilton Als had his head so far up McDonagh's ass that his review bordered on the ludicrous. No doubt it is a gripping and well-acted play, but a theater buff would not rely on one review (unless it was Frank Rich) to decide whether to see a play.

Anyway, I am glad that you liked it, Rod. I thought it was well-acted but a little too cutesy in its perversity. But the theater is certainly better off for it, no doubt about it. I don't see why any number of experienced actors could not take over the Goldblum role, however.

Guest alanm

I liked both "The Pillowman" and "Doubt." Thought Isherwood was way too dismissive of the former play in order to underline his support of "Doubt." I love Arthur Miler's plays, but would be bored silly if that's all Broadway offered. Totally disagree about the virtues of Frank Rich.

His current writings on culture confirm my long held belief that Rich drew conclusions first and then wrote the review to back up his initial emotional reactions. I agree with Rich's politics, but he has not enlightened or surprised me in a very long time in his Sunday pieces.

Why in the world would someone w/ so much sense as you, Lucky, ever say that any one critic is the only one to read?

Well I am glad you think that I have sense. I did not mean to say that Frank Rich was the only critic to rely on. What I thought I said was that his opinion of a play could get me to see it since I usually agreed with his reviews. Typically if I know I am going to see a show or a movie, I don't read the reviews until afterwards. Rich was an exception...

Interesting to not on another topic, but about reviews, that both the LA Times and the NY Times trashed the movie Crash. They often don't agree so much. I kind of liked the movie.

Guest alanm

I plan to see "Crash" in the next few days and expect to like it.

On Frank Rich, I know that good actors were particularly concerned about his ability to be objective. Mary Martin: "I can't stand the prospect of opening in anything on Broadway for Frank Rich." Quote from Diary of a Mad Playwrite by James Kirkwood, page 23. To be fair, this was late in Martin's career and she often said that things now scared her that would not have 20/30 years before. But if Mary Martin indeed felt that way (even Rich would have hestitated to give her a bad review), think of how many less legendary performers may have felt the same way.

Have you seen "Spelling Bee" or "Glengarry Glen Ross"? If so what do you think?

"Cutesy"? What's cute about crucifying a little girl and chopping off toes?

I agree, Frank had too much power as a critic, but his reviews were so fun to read. There's a collection you can purchase, used, on Amazon; it's hilarious reading. I devour his thinly veiled political critiques every Sunday; he's a better media critic than our West Coast Pulitzer Prize winning Howard Rosenberg was.

http://www.RodHagen.com

-Hagen

Cutesy is the author's overt effort to come up with just such scenarios that are virtually irrelevant to real life. They have no meaning...so yes, he is just telling stories. There is nothing about Pillowman that leaves the theater with the viewer

Although I haven't seen Doubt, my friends who have comment on how their mind is challenged by it. Pillowman doesn't get a second thought.

Maybe in 50 years, though...who knows?

Guest alanm

I have enjoyed many Broadway plays that were well acted and well written ("Sleuth," "An Inspector Calls, "Death Trap") that I never gave a thought to after the curtain came down. Like you I have not seen "Doubt." I expect to like that play more than "The Pillowman," yet I too have been thinking about the latter play since I saw it two weeks ago. There were some strange things going on in that totalitarian state.

Guest JohnPela

>Well, good for you. But why? How about a review?

>BTW, Goldblum didn't even get a nomination for a Tony. So what

>about his acting was a must-see?

Lucky, I enjoyed watching Jeff Goldblum in Pillowman. However, I agree I would not not categorize his acting as great- Tony Award caliber. Pillowman was both creepy/chilling and very funny- what a combination.

My favorites during these last two April 2005 trips to NYC in order of preference were Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Hurly Burly, Glengary Glenross, Doubt, Pillowman. I enjoyed Julius Caesar and Altar Boys but the above dramas were fantastic. I probably misspelled most of them but don't want to pull out the NY Times. I saw Democracy in NYC in January and really enjoyed it- would put it as maybe a tie for #1. So I will be looking forward to seeing the Tony Awards this year.

Interesting choices. Your favorite plays involve lots of conflict between individuals. Yet you seem to be such an easygoing guy yourself...

As for Hurlyburly, I hated it. Even Ethan Hawkes' butt crack didn't make it worthwhile! What did you like about it?

Dr. Lucky

Guest JohnPela

>Interesting choices. Your favorite plays involve lots of

>conflict between individuals. Yet you seem to be such an

>easygoing guy yourself...

>As for Hurlyburly, I hated it. Even Ethan Hawkes' butt crack

>didn't make it worthwhile! What did you like about it?

>Dr. Lucky

Actually Lucky, I have a very, very bad temper and I am very uptight about just about everything (Type A personality). I really enjoy plays over muscials for the interpersonal conflict. The Ethan Hawkes' character, Eddie, in Hurlyburly reminded me very much of my theatre companion. Both he and I laughed a lot during the play. For instance, we both would have had the same reaction as Eddie did when his female fuck buddy came back bleeding and sore from being thrown out of a moving car by his uptight Italian male friend who Eddie fixed up with her. Eddie's reaction to her would have been the same as mine and my theatre companion's: "What did you do or say to cause Joe to throw you out of the passenger seat of your car while he was driving it? Also, you are bruised and bleeding a little on your legs but your not dead or badly hurt, so what's the problem? Also, afterall, he did slow down the vehicle some when he threw you out"

Also, been there, done that with similar conversations in the play (especially when I was young and smoking pot a lot with friends) as the 10 minute conversation about how one can equally like a French or Chinese restaurant. One of my favite movies is the Lion In Winter with Katherin Hepburn and Peter O'Toole-"What family doesn't have its ups and downs?" When I was in college my room mate & mine's apartment was like Grand Central Station... always someone, many someones dropping in, partying, drinking, smoking, sex.

It was a good thing for me and Mr. Ethan Hawke that I was in the balcony (and not in orchestra near the stage) when he was on stage for almost a half hour with his butt crack showing.

Anyway, Lucky, Good to see you again in NYC two weeks ago.

Archived