Anyone Watching Fire Island on Logo/VH1?

LIguy
This topic is 2563 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English is not my first language, so I cannot understand what they said sometimes. I don't know what the show is supposed to tell us, but those guys are handsome and hot. I feel regret the show is too conservative about sex, which should be the highlight of this reality show.

I like Kelly and her hot Hubby, they are super gay-friendly and are raising their kids with GREAT humanistic values. THIS, however, was a baaaaaaaad decision. GOOD intent, bud baaaaaaaad decision lol. It's sad because the RuPaul Network (I mean lets face it that's basically it) has such potential yet they they flood us with shows featuring mindless petty bitchy narcissistic gym bods that make ME almost hate us :confused: (and YES I know if they had shows featuring men who AREN'T 24 and who LOOK like most of us working as teachers or EMT's or struggling on disability or dealing with our own particular Hell of Gay-Greying and it's subsequent invisibility, prolly even LESS ppl would watch o_O (so what's that say about us lol??)

I know if they had shows featuring men who AREN'T 24 and who LOOK like most of us working as teachers or EMT's or struggling on disability or dealing with our own particular Hell of Gay-Greying and it's subsequent invisibility, prolly even LESS ppl would watch o_O (so what's that say about us lol??)

Maybe since there's never been a show like that people would watch. Me and my friends all loved the show Looking which had more mature content. Of coarse the younger one's all hated it and bitched to high heaven and thus it was canceled. They wanted another QAF. Logo is even less brave so we get Rupaul and Buffy marathons. Too many of us only care about show's with "mindless petty bitchy narcissistic gym bods" and thus that's all we ever get.

This is why I avoid shows with gay content. Seen it. done it. Watched it. Boring to me now.

I'll take the two on the right (light blue and striped shorts):

http://gaygainesville.net/assets/Fire_Island.jpg

I never knew of this show until I read thread.

I checked On demand--->Logo--->FireIsland, and dove in. Big mistake - it's so fucking shallow, I cracked my head on the bottom

(Well, that's the type of headache it gave me)

I'm proud to announce I've never seen one episode, not one segment, of any show with the words Real Housewives in the title. Fire Island is what I imagine Real Housewives to be... no estrogen but just as much bitchy PMS

I'll pass on episodes 2+

WHAT was that first one called mid 2000's ???? Like a Real Housewives for gay men in NYC with that guy Reiken (sic) ???? I was at a party where they were filming it but can't remember the name of show lol. All I remember is his BF with the accent you could barely understand and his "attempt" at acting in an OffBway show where he was slammed (and confused as to why critics didn't make allowances because it was his first "play" o_O) *and then the buzz when nude camchat snaps of him appeared (he was hot I thought, but had one big uni-ball lol)

I'll take the two on the right (light blue and striped shorts):

http://gaygainesville.net/assets/Fire_Island.jpg

Saw the first three or four episodes, mostly online. Haven't seen the last two. The two on the right are very attractive but come off as slightly shallow on screen. Not that they are necessarily, but I don't get a sense that they had a lot challenges in life like the others, who have more colorful personalities. I have lost track of their names, but the pooch holder... OK, Patrick... is most likeable since he is loaded with confidence and was most amusing in the drag performance. Also a good relationship with his conservative Republican parents and very good at compromising with others. Justin ("bear left") is probably the one more of us resemble whether we want to admit or not with his whoa-is-me attitude to his physical appearance. Yet you have to ask why he's often self-critical since I, for one, wouldn't mind looking like him.

LIKE OH MY GAAAWWWDDD - Could they have found anymore stereotypes to stuff into one house and the same bathing suit~

As someone who played on Fire Island back in 2000 it isn't so uncommon. Put a bunch of twenty something gay guys together in a party atmosphere and you'll get a gay ghetto mentality every single time. No different then teenagers.

Why is it that gay men are so non-supportive of other gay men?

Is it jealousy? Is it that we don't like what we see about ourselves in these characters? Whatever it is, it's sad. Here you have a show that's certainly not perfect, and yes, each of these men are stereotypes of one sort or another, but let's face it - it's a show about gay men and there aren't many of those.

Instead of picking this show apart, why not consider it a building block toward more positive, more well-rounded representations of who we are as gay men. What's good about this show? What could be better? What should be the next show for gay men? I personally would like to see a story about a realistic couple with a strong bond and an active sex life.

Any other suggestions for the next big, GOOD gay show?

Why is it that gay men are so non-supportive of other gay men?

Is it jealousy? Is it that we don't like what we see about ourselves in these characters? Whatever it is, it's sad. Here you have a show that's certainly not perfect, and yes, each of these men are stereotypes of one sort or another, but let's face it - it's a show about gay men and there aren't many of those.

Instead of picking this show apart, why not consider it a building block toward more positive, more well-rounded representations of who we are as gay men. What's good about this show? What could be better? What should be the next show for gay men? I personally would like to see a story about a realistic couple with a strong bond and an active sex life.

Any other suggestions for the next big, GOOD gay show?

I don't consider this show too stereotyped or negative in image, except that the guys are all attractive looking and love walking around with their shirts off. However this was a bigger problem with Logo's earlier Finding Prince Charming than this show. The guys in that one were no different than the guys in ABC's The Bachelorette. More Gym Rats than Average Joes.

A little more troubling is how the rest of the mainstream views this show.

Saturday Night Live spoofed this show two months ago before it aired, when there were just promo trailers. Usually their sketches are amusing, but this lesbian counter-part show is a bit uncomfortable to watch. The actual Fire Island only has a few party scenes, but mostly the guys are just domestic room-mates doing domestic things and talking a lot, not unlike Big Brother or Real World. Yet SNL suggests all the gay guys do is party and all the lesbians do is act un-sexual and baby obsessed. To me, the jokes are more UN-intentially stereotypical than intentionally because I doubt the SNL writers intended any harm and they are, in fact, ridiculing how reality TV itself likes to typecast "groups". Yet I still squirm watching this because, if you are not "heteronormal", you will be pigeon-holed into a type just as you would if you aren't white or Christian.

I never knew of this show until I read thread.

I checked On demand--->Logo--->FireIsland, and dove in. Big mistake - it's so fucking shallow, I cracked my head on the bottom

(Well, that's the type of headache it gave me)

I'm proud to announce I've never seen one episode, not one segment, of any show with the words Real Housewives in the title. Fire Island is what I imagine Real Housewives to be... no estrogen but just as much bitchy PMS

I'll pass on episodes 2+

It is a pretty dumb and shallow show...nice eye candy, but the attitudes and bitching are very distracting.

Yet I still squirm watching this because, if you are not "heteronormal", you will be pigeon-holed into a type just as you would if you aren't white or Christian.

I remember hearing the same arguments for Queer as Folk yet the show was apparently really popular with straight females.

I remember Queer As Folk - both the British and the American versions. I enjoyed each one but in both instances the characters had more to them. True, there were probably stereotypes there, but the characters had more facets to them. Fire Island seems more like an excuse to get a bunch of hot young guys to display their wares on camera.

I'd like to propose a new concept in gay reality shows, however. How about a gay married couple who are splitting because the one guy has discovered he was latently bi after all. The show could be called "Leave It For Beaver."

Archived