Treo 650

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6967 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Rod or someone--can I use my motorola V600 chip in the Tevo 650? I'm on at&t/cingular--can they prevent me from having an unlocked phone? do I just slip the simm in the Tevo and go about business as if nothing happened or do I have to notify them? Is unlocked just mean it can be used in the usa as well as on the 2 frequencies they have in Europe or something else? Any information appreciated.

Flower you can use your sim card in any unlocked phone as long as the frequency is correct for your carrier. In the example you gave it will work. The law is not very clear on unlocked phones in the states but there is no need to notify anyone.

Carrier's "lock" their phones with a code that some will supply to customers but unlocked simply means that a specific phone can be used regardless of carrier.

This is one way around the carrier's selection of phones which is what Rod wants to do.

RT :)

T-Mobile <USA> is good about giving you the unlock code ~ they have done for 2 of my phones. Have had 2 phones unlocked in Thailand for about $12 each.

I am carrying around pre paid Sims for Thailand, Italy, Germany just pop them in and ready to go with a big cost savings plus having a local phone number.

When in the States just pop in my T-Mobile accout one and works with no problems.

>I think if your going the PDA route then stay away from

>PalmOne it is a dying plat fourm...also bluetooth is not worth

>its weight any longer.

Microsoft Smartphones are *very* powerful, but stay away from the Motorolla MPx220, it was slapped together for 2 cents in some fourth-world country and has too many (hardware) bugs (the MS software actually works pretty well). WindowsMobile2005 should be out soon and rumors abound about a Treo based on WM...

Of course it all depends on what you want to do... if you just want to carry PIM info and sync it with a computer many/most phones can do that, it's just a matter of getting the cable/software.

But if you're a hardcore MS Outlook user or want real power and the ability to do all kinds of cool things it's hard to beat MS Smartphone/windows mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

>Are we talking June for WindowsMobile2005 or just "someday"?

Not really sure, MS is really working to keep all word of it under tight wraps... I'm guessing after June but maybe July or August... things do move kind of slowly in the phone world though (except when they move to fast, which Motorolla knows all about with the MPX and MPx220...).

Archived