The Little Foxes

foxy
This topic is 2554 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In 1981 I saw Elizabeth Taylor in the role of a Regina in Little Foxes. Happy to say that in a few days I'll see Laura Linney playing the same role. Could any two actresses be more different? I've admired Linney ever since seeing her in Tales of the City. Happy to say I've seen her in every Broadway role since plus any number of movies and television shows. She's one of those actors who is always good no matter what she does and in such a quiet yet very powerful way. Switching roles with Cynthia Nixon is so intriguing I'm sure I'll want to go back and see the play again.

Tallulah Bankhead was the star of the original Broadway cast of The Little Foxes in 1939. Her performances in The Little Foxes and Thornton

Wilders' The Skin of Our Teeth, a few years later, are legendary, but few people are still alive who saw them.

Bankhead played herself as a new next-door neighbor on the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour in the late 1950s. The television show is available on DVD. Also, Bankhead was the star of Alfred Hitchcock's film, Lifeboat. Of the two stage roles, The Skin of Our Teeth is by far the most difficult.

So Laura Linney should be fine, @foxy.

Saw Little Foxes yesterday and really enjoyed the play. Laura Linney played Birdie. I was hoping she would be playing Regina which is the larger and meatier role but it was Cynthia Nixon's turn. She was good but I think Linney is definitely the better actress. So I have a good reason to go back and see it again. I was sitting next to a woman who knew one of the actors in a smaller role. During intermission she said she'd probably try to go backstage to see him. I laughed and said "take me". She didn't. I've always thought that would be wonderful to go backstage after a play and meet the performers. Hasn't happened yet and probably never will, but fun to think about.

I saw it last night, and like Foxy, I loved it. Cynthia Nixon played Regina. Another friend, who saw Laura Linney as Regina, agrees with Foxy that Linney is probably the better Regina. Now I'd like to see it again, with Linney as Regina, but that's not likely to happen. I highly recommend "The Little Foxes" to anyone who enjoys the theater!

But I wonder why some people think that Linney is better as Regina. I'll probably never find out, though.

Archived