Augusten Burroughs

spiro3
This topic is 6995 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK, kiddos, it's been awhile since we've had a literary chat, so I'd like to bring up a writer who has surprisingly been given scant notice on this board ( and one of the two times negatively), But who is about to burst onto the silver screen with two of his books being given the Hollywood treatment. I recently raced through his two memoirs "Running with Scissors" and "Dry" consecutively and found both riviting, humorous, and well-written. The shocker of his life story is that he was literally given away by his mother to her psychiatrist to care for at the age of 13, and in a household where "free love" ( remember that?) reigned he took a male lover who was 33. In "dry" he describes in detail his battles with alcoholism ( not surprisingly).

Go to augusten.com for details about his work and the movies that are in production. There's gonna be a lot of talk about this guy when they come out.

Any other reactions to his work?

There's not one word of either of his memoirs that seems honest to me. Yes his frighteningly funny. And yes he tells a good story. His world is also, as you pointed out, well-written. However, it's fiction. It doesn't read true. Because memoirs and personal essays have obliterated the short story/fiction market (thank you, in part, David Sedaris) writers that have a good story to tell, too often try to pass it off as true. AB may have a wacky mom, an adoptive medical doctor for a father, and a history of addiction. But none of the details feel true to me, and I'm not alone in this. Sellevision, his first, was fiction (most likely inspired by aspects of his own life, like fiction is supposed to be) and look how poorly that did...initially. He learned his lesson, make up shit and call it true.

Personal Essays from the modern masters: Sedaris, Didion, Vidal, Quammen, Dawkins, David Foster Wallace, David Raikoff (more witty , gay and intelligetn than Sedaris and AB combined), Gretel Ehrlich, Sonntag, EB White (the best), all include liberal exageration. And those from the list would all admit to it. Many of them have. There is a gapping, inexcusable chasm between the accepted exageration in the telling of a true story, and the obvious bullshit that goes into Augusten B's "memoirs".

His writing, his persona, are nakedly ambitious. It became immediately obvious both on NPR and Salon.com during the success of Running With Scissors that he was positioning himself to be the next Sedaris. He wants to move too far too quickly. He's greedy. In fact, although I haven't finished Magical Thinking, I'd already read some of the essays on salon.com, and in one he talked about his Running with Scissors" strategy: (I'm paraphrasing because I couldn't find the exact quote this morning, but I'm 100% correct on the context and content) "I would write a memoir, and it absolutely HAD to be a NYtimes bestseller." He did and it certainly was, in fact if it's going to be a film the money just keeps rolling in, doesn't it? Money and success and fame. Good for him. Too bad he's lying to his readers...and they're buying it.

-RH

p.s. I can't wait to see the movies.

I agree 100% with Mr.Hagen on this.Burroughs comes across a cheap imatation of David Sedaris.He reminds me of a brat kid jumping at a chance to try and top a story,already told,by adding outrageous imbelishments.

I read Running With Scissors and have no desire to read anything more by this writer.On the other hand I look forward with great anticipation to the next book by Sedaris(or Gore Vidal-it might be his last)to hit the shelves.

Guest DickHo

I've only read "Running with Sissors" and I thought it was funny but somewhat unbelievable. I've read 3 of Sedaris's books and I thought Naked was great and his best work. The others I thought were more of the same...he has one story to tell and tell and tell and tell.

From the augusten.com website (what a cast!):

Running with Scissors is currently shooting in Los Angeles. The picture will be released in theatres before Christmas of this year. The cast includes:

Annette Bening........ Deirdre Burroughs

Gwyneth Paltrow........ Hope

Jill Clayburgh........ Agnes Finch

Brian Cox........ Dr. Finch

Joseph Fiennes........ Neil Bookman

Evan Rachel Wood........ Natalie

Alec Baldwin........ Norman Burroughs

Vanessa Redgrave........ Joranne

Joseph Cross........ Augusten Burroughs

Kristen Chenoweth.......Fern

The screenplay was written by Ryan Murphy who will also direct. Mr. Murphy is the 2005 Golden Globe winning (Best television series, drama) creator, writer, director and executive producer of the hit series, Nip/Tuck. Brad Pitt co-produces the picture and it will be released through Sony Miramax.

>Joseph Cross........ Augusten Burroughs

Jesus Christ, not only does Vanesa Red. stoop to this film, but AB is played by an actor from Amy Sedaris', sister to David Sedaris, TV show "Strangers With Candy". AB is just too fucking much.

Archived