ASMR? (Autonomous sensory meridian response)

oldNbusted
This topic is 1633 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

While dog sitting for some friend who have Amazon Prime video, I ran across a video about this. I'd say the wikipedia page is pretty good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Much like the shock of recognition the first time I read a description of precordial catch, I've always experienced ASMR when I get my hair cut by a professional (I've clipped my own hair most of my life). There seems to be some skepticism that ASMR exists, but I can say it does, although I went through a lot of videos that say thy are intended to trigger this, none of them triggered for me.

I should make clear that for me, this is a non-sexual experience, the person cutting my hair can be male or female, the response is usually the same. Most of the videos found online were young women, so I can imagine they get a lot of views from young guys, even if they aren't triggered. :cool:

I did find some guy videos, just to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't. I guess for me, it has to be the real thing, digital simulations don't cut it.

So, anyone else heard of this, or also experience it? I do understand there will likely be some skeptical feedback, I can't fault that, but I know I had experience that match the description perfectly, so I'm a believer.

hmmm.....I think I've experienced this for much of my life, at infrequent times......it's a not-unpleasant tingling/shivering (not shocking) that only last a few seconds and runs thru my body......definitely seems to be set off by some of the external triggers described in the wiki article......don't remember the last time I had this happen (may be months), but it's almost nice when it does....some combo of immediate pleasant mental (not at all sexual) images/thoughts and comfortable familiar surroundings often sets it up.....

thanks for bringing this up!!

• 2 years later...
This topic came up recently in another thread, with a video of a purring cat, with music added. I have to say the music wasn't a help for me. But I did like the video of just the cat. As I've done more exploring, I came to realize I don't think someone speaking would ever trigger me, it's just too distracting.

I personally use Spotify’s streaming platform as they offer an array of options and playlist. I’ve never liked using YouTube as the visuals are distracting, and a lot ot of the creations are whimsical, defeating the whole purpose of what is to be a very simple and therapeutic exercise.

This topic came up recently in another thread, with a video of a purring cat, with music added. I have to say the music wasn't a help for me. But I did like the video of just the cat. As I've done more exploring, I came to realize I don't think someone speaking would ever trigger me, it's just too distracting.

I also dislike the whispering ASMR.

For me, there's a difference between tingle-inducing ASMR and sleep inducing ASMR.

I personally use Spotify’s streaming platform as they offer an array of options and playlist. I’ve never liked using YouTube as the visuals are distracting, and a lot ot of the creations are whimsical, defeating the whole purpose of what is to be a very simple and therapeutic exercise.

Some YouTubers use the visual aspect to their advantage. I don't use headphones - I have to get up too often for them to work for me - and the idea of listening to ASMR via Spotify seems boring to me. Also with YouTube there are previews and lists of what appears when so you get some idea of what is going on. Listening without knowing the source of the sound would drive me crazy.

the idea of listening to ASMR via Spotify seems boring to me.

Don’t knock it until you try it ;)

Sounded boring to me too but it has aided me, when I needed it. But ultimately, it comes down to what works best for you. No harm in exploring. I’m listening to this playlist now. I grew up in the country and miss the winters there, so sounds like this trigger nostalgia for me and help me to relax sometimes.

xPIwoJg.jpg

Don’t knock it until you try it ;)

Sounded boring to me too but it has aided me, when I needed it. But ultimately, it comes down to what works best for you. No harm in exploring. I’m listening to this playlist now. I grew up in the country and miss the winters there, so sounds like this trigger nostalgia for me and help me to relax sometimes.

xPIwoJg.jpg

I'm generalizing from my experience using Spotify to listen to music in general. Keep in mind, YouTube works for me, so exploring Spotify means devoting time to a solution I don't need, whereas YouTube doesn't work for you, therefore using Spotify makes perfect sense.