'Read Receipt' Anxiety

mike carey
This topic is 2632 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Interesting article in the Grauniad about receipt notes on line and people who worry about not receiving replies when they 'know' (or in fact actually do know) that their message or post has been read.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/17/i-know-theyve-seen-my-message-so-why-havent-they-replied

Me? I think replying to people who greet you in the street (now) and answering the phone in the Jurassic era when there were no answering machines is (or was) common courtesy. Voicemail and texts allowed people to reply as soon or as late as was convenient to them. Not every communication requires a reply or even an acknowledgment. I find the various receipt features and 'last seen here' indications useful, but unless I'm trying to arrange something I don't read too much into not having received a response to a 'read' message.

Interesting article in the Grauniad about receipt notes on line and people who worry about not receiving replies when they 'know' (or in fact actually do know) that their message or post has been read.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/mar/17/i-know-theyve-seen-my-message-so-why-havent-they-replied

Me? I think replying to people who greet you in the street (now) and answering the phone in the Jurassic era when there were no answering machines is (or was) common courtesy. Voicemail and texts allowed people to reply as soon or as late as was convenient to them. Not every communication requires a reply or even an acknowledgment. I find the various receipt features and 'last seen here' indications useful, but unless I'm trying to arrange something I don't read too much into not having received a response to a 'read' message.

yup. my nieces and their friends go super emo crazy bonkers crazy melt down when they dont get an IMMEDIATE response to a text or message. "Like OMG they must not like me anymore! what did i do? OMG my world is ended!" *screaming, crying, panic attacks ensue*

Archived