When We Rise

Kippy
This topic is 2623 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched the first part of the new Dustin Lance Black history/drama "When We Rise" last night on ABC-- it was an interesting melding of gay, race and women's issues. It was presented in a way which doesn't usually put these categories together and was nicely done. I suspect for young people today under 30 it has the epic proportions of biblical tales. There is so much taken for granted today that deserves careful explanation. Part two airs Wed. March 1. Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvgMNE9ozg

Peace,

Kipp

I watched the first episode but I have not liked it so far, although I really wanted to. Perhaps it is that they have tried to put too much into the plot so that it makes it hard to emotionally connect. BUT I am going to watch the rest and hoping I will change my mind. I know that part of my problem is that I link it to Angels In America (which I have a real fondness for) even though I know that Angels focused primarily on one time in history while When We Rise is trying to incorporate the scope of gay (men and women) history.

I do hope those non-gay (all inclusive) people at least watch the 1 hour episode on Thurs night. However, that program gives pretty short shrift to the last 20 years. I guess the writers thinking is that they were aiming the program toward younger gays who may not know the history of the movement so know the final history (i.e., gay marriage). At any rate, one more night.

Archived