Cartagena

NYCgymfit
This topic is 2653 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Check out http://www.boytoy.com in the Latin forum. There is a great amount of content about Colombia. Join for free and place your query there as well.

done! thanks - it looks like a good resource. most of the advice is to look for boys on gay romeo. will keep everyone posted after the trip. i am hearing more and more that bogota and medellin are "more gay" with more gay bars and saunas. cartagena looks pretty gorgeous in the old city. thinking of staying at the santa clara.

At the risk of diverting attention, be careful in Cartagena. Nine years ago, I had drugs planted on me there while in a restaurant. Someone put stuff in my backpack. I was approached shortly thereafter by two policemen who demanded to search me. To my great luck, there was a woman in the restaurant who witnessed the whole thing. She was the daughter of a judge and a student in America. She was sitting with other Americans and I had said hi to them as I was walking in after hearing their Boston accents. This woman marched right up to the police, and lit into them -- in Spanish, I didn't understand a word and really had no idea what was going on. Anyway she scared them off. She told me later they were going to shake me down for a bribe. One of the most memorable experiences in my life. Long time ago though, maybe things are better now.

At the risk of diverting attention, be careful in Cartagena. Nine years ago, I had drugs planted on me there while in a restaurant. Someone put stuff in my backpack. I was approached shortly thereafter by two policemen who demanded to search me. To my great luck, there was a woman in the restaurant who witnessed the whole thing. She was the daughter of a judge and a student in America. She was sitting with other Americans and I had said hi to them as I was walking in after hearing their Boston accents. This woman marched right up to the police, and lit into them -- in Spanish, I didn't understand a word and really had no idea what was going on. Anyway she scared them off. She told me later they were going to shake me down for a bribe. One of the most memorable experiences in my life. Long time ago though, maybe things are better now.

Thanks so much for looking out for me. I appreciate that. I think (I hope) that things have settled down quite a bit on the crime front - particularly in the old city where I will be spending time. That is quite a story!! Glad it worked out the way it did. I'm actually looking into by-passing Cartagena maybe and hitting up Bogota or Medellin or Cali. It sounds as if there might be as much culture with more gay life and possibilities.

Ding!

The same thing happened to a European friend of mine, and he was 'shaken down' by the police.

Archived