"I Am Not Your Negro" - James Baldwin

nynakedtop
This topic is 2570 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am not sure whether or not this film is in wide or limited distribution but if it is playing in your area, or a place you can easily get to, I would strongly recommend spending some quality time both viewing this film and reflecting upon its message.

The film effectively coveys Baldwin’s message on race, blackness and whiteness in a destabilizing array of images. The film is intercut between past and present, alternating archival footage and photography with contemporary images from Ferguson and other sites of protest. There are short excerpts from Hollywood shlock like Love in the Afternoon and Imitation of Life. This collage-like array of images is held together by Baldwin’s words, spoken by him in clips from television interviews, or read from essays and letters.

Throughout I Am Not Your Negro, Baldwin points out the limitations of white obliviousness, be it expressed in the empty status markers of postwar consumerism or the antiseptic chastity of Doris Day and Gary Cooper, whom he calls “two of the most grotesque appeals to innocence the world has ever seen.”

I hope many of you will see it.....

I am not sure whether or not this film is in wide or limited distribution but if it is playing in your area, or a place you can easily get to, I would strongly recommend spending some quality time both viewing this film and reflecting upon its message.

The film is playing here in Philadelphia and I will see it today based on your recommendation.

However, I do not believe Baldwin's fiction has met the test of time, especially "Another Country." I read "Another Country" when it was published, but can not read beyond the first few pages now.

Said the same thing about "Lord of the Rings," didn't make to the 2nd page. Don't understand the popularity. Weird because just about all I read is SF/Fantasy.

However, I do not believe Baldwin's fiction has met the test of time, especially "Another Country." I read "Another Country" when it was published, but can not read beyond the first few pages now.

The film is playing here in Philadelphia and I will see it today based on your recommendation.

oooohhh - i feel the pressure now, hehe - honestly/seriously, i do hope you like the film, or if you do not you at least find it to be a valuable experience - i confess (shame, shame) to have not read much of baldwin.... my students have read more of him than i have - but will now make up for my shortcoming, and hope i find Another Country a more compelling read than you do.

cheers-

The film effectively coveys Baldwin’s message on race, blackness and whiteness in a destabilizing array of images. The film is intercut between past and present, alternating archival footage and photography with contemporary images from Ferguson and other sites of protest. There are short excerpts from Hollywood shlock like Love in the Afternoon and Imitation of Life. This collage-like array of images is held together by Baldwin’s words, spoken by him in clips from television interviews, or read from essays and letters.

Throughout I Am Not Your Negro, Baldwin points out the limitations of white obliviousness, be it expressed in the empty status markers of postwar consumerism or the antiseptic chastity of Doris Day and Gary Cooper, whom he calls “two of the most grotesque appeals to innocence the world has ever seen.”

I hope many of you will see it.....

Have not seen this yet, but definitely will based on yours and others' recommendations. Director Raoul Peck made LUMUMBA several years ago, one of the most powerful biopics I have ever seen. It didn't get the distribution or recognition it deserved when it was released, but is now available on Netflix.

Director Raoul Peck made LUMUMBA several years ago, one of the most powerful biopics I have ever seen. It didn't get the distribution or recognition it deserved when it was released, but is now available on Netflix.

I endorse your Lumumba recommendation like a zillion times!!! (Gotta ask.... Have you seen The Battle of Algiers? -- one of my all time ever favorites along with Harlan County USA)

I endorse your Lumumba recommendation like a zillion times!!! (Gotta ask.... Have you seen The Battle of Algiers? -- one of my all time ever favorites along with Harlan County USA)

Yes! Those are both great films! 'Z' is probably my favorite political film; seen it at least a half dozen times, and it never fails to be totally riveting from start to finish.

• 2 months later...

Archived