Remembrances

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 7016 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's an old song I remember from my high school days that goes something along the lines of "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?" When I heard the news that HooBoy had died, the truth of that lyric, however corny, hit home for me. It's when I realised that I took the work HooBoy did for granted. I just assumed that he would always be there, like the newspaper outside my door each morning. I was grateful for the site, impressed at the consistency of his work and imagined the team of people he had working with him to produce his valued service. Yet, I am sorry and a little ashamed I never took a moment to post here that I was a better informed, happier person for his efforts. I checked and I'm a 'charter' member who first posted a review in Janaury 2000. It's five years too late, but thank you, Hooboy, for putting up with the huge bunch of mixed nuts who were all your beneficiaries. I am also going to try to commit to recognizing and expressing my appreciation to others who are a positive influence on my life. Perhaps that's a fitting tribute to the man who did a lot for so many but was thanked not nearly enough.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only add how sad I was to hear that HooBoy has left the building. I found this site in the first two weeks of its existance, and all I can say is that it has profoundly changed my life. I have made so many new friends and experienced so much more in life because of the people on this site. HooBoy allowed me to expand my horizons and to venture out. Without HooBoy, I would have never ever considered going to Brasil. Without HooBoy, I would not have met my soul mate. I doubt he realized how greatly he so positively impacted so many lives. Thank you HooBoy. Thank you. Damn, you will be missed.

To the family and friends of Hooboy, and to the moderators,

I never met him. I never spoke to him. But he changed my life – all for the better - through the opportunity to know myself, to meet amazing people, to make new friends with whom I feel comfortable and feel truly free to discuss topics I never could before, to express myself in an open forum, and to begin to learn about a new way of life. I shall ever be grateful.

I never had the pleasure of meeting HooBoy, but he and I corresponded via e-mail from time to time. My favorite e-mail exchange started when my username stopped working for some reason. He reset my account and selected a temporary password, which, he said, was how he thought of me. It was uncanny, I'm not the most active member here, but he was right on the money. The password that he selected fit my like a glove. Good bye, HooBoy. Thanks for Everthing. My thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family.

These two poems have been running through my head since I first heard that he had left us.

"Perhaps they are not the stars,

but rather openings in Heaven

where the love of our lost ones

pours through and shines down upon us

to let us know they are happy.”

Eskimo Legend

"I wanted a perfect ending...

Now, I've learned the hard way that some poems

don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear

beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing,

having to change, taking the moment and

making the best of it,

without knowing what's going to happen next.

Delicious ambiguity."

Gilda Radner, 1946-1989

Rest in peace,

Justice

Oh Hooboy,

Thank you so much for the gift you presented us. Unwittingly or not, you gave the World a new community, and by doing so gave the gift of liberation (of sorts) to people like myself who've spent so much of our lives hidden away, and without a voice. It's amazing how your simple presence on the 'net became so integral to my life. May your legacy continue, in the good, capable hands of friends in which you trusted your work to begin with, and hopefully far, far beyond.

Laughter, Passion, Fraternity, Family.

La Trix

The Messenger

I have been asked specifically to post this in the Rememberences thread. Personally, I find it wholly appropriate in both sentiment and spirit to much of what others have been stating and thus, post it here. While I fully understand that some of you might be surprised or react otherwise, this is a cut and paste of exactly what Ethan wrote:

a message from Ethan (theDCeBOY) & that like many others, I remember

fondly the site's ups & downs. I hope he has as much fun on this, his last

journey, as he did on Earth. I exend my deepest sympathies to his

loved ones. I hope they are able to take some small comfort from the

knowledge that he touched so many lives.

Hamakon y'nahaim etkhem b'tokh sh'ar availai tziyon vi-yerushalayim.

May the Lord comfort you with all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

This was quite a shock. While I never got to know him personally, all my online dealings with him were pleasant and productive. I'd always hoped I'd have the chance to meet him some day. My sincerest condolences to his friends and family and my hope that they can comfort themselves with this: He really did change people's lives and that is a rare and beautiful legacy to leave behind.

It is with great sense of loss that I add to the resounding expressions of condolences already posted to all of Hooboy's family & friends.

I was never fortunate enough to have met him in person, but my limited direct communications with him always reflected the talent, wisdom and class that seems to have typified his life, his work and what he had created. More importantly, from the overwhelming outpouring of love, respect and affection I've been reading over the last few days, the impact he apparently had on so many lives is incredibly profound and is a true and marvelous testament to the man.

His enduring legacy will be that because of his vision, perseverence and abilities there exists the standard by which others should be judged- both personally and professionally. Thank you Hooboy for setting the bar so high!

In the Jewish religion when one learns of someone's passing, the Hebrew phrase "Barukh Dayan Ha'Emet" ("Praised is the Judge of Truth") is used to express condolences and the hope that on the departed's Day of Judgement he will be judged kindly. Let it be so for Hooboy.

And let him rest in peace. Amen.

Steve Roberts

I am saddened and speechless over this sudden tragedy.

But find comfort in this old Hawaiian proverb,

"Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but rather openings, where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy."

My condolences to all those he loved and loved him in return.

I'm still saddened & speechless over the lost of Hooboy. Hooboy your legacy will live forever for people that knew you and loved you. Thank You so much for giving us this new community in this world, you will never know how much you touched so many of us. You help me in so many ways to expand my horizons, without you Hooboy I would have never venture out in this world like I did "THANK YOU HOOBOY". Hooboy you can rest to sure that Daddy and the great group of moderators you have hand picked will continue your great work. Keep in touch with us on the wireless network that's up there.

My sincerest condolences to Hooboy's family on your lost, he will be missed by all.

God Bless you HooBoy, Garbo.

I apologize for the lateness of this response, as I just got home tonight and did not have access to this site while away. I'm in total shock at this news, and apologize in advance if my thoughts are rambling.

First off, my sincere condolences and best wishes to his family and friends. I offer my prayers that the acute pain of his loss will subside with time, with the full realization that your cherished memories of him will never fade away, during the coming days, months and years.

I never had the pleasure of meeting HB in person, but from his postings on this site and from input from those I have met, who did know him personally, I can honestly state that he is the person on this site that I would have liked to have met the most!

I so loved his sense of humor, as it was off the beaten track, at least imo, and sometimes misunderstood, and that is what made it so special. I loved the Garbo avatar and how he used it to it's humorous best. I will so miss Garbo's posts, as at least, imho, they were the highlights of any day's postings!

I know how fond I was of HB, just as an anonymous poster to this site's message center. I can only extrapolate that into how much those who knew him personally loved him, and how devastating a loss they must be feeling.

I don't know anything about HB or his family (except that he loved and dearly missed his pre-deceased sister, and that was beautifully stated often), but whoever he was in his private life, he made a huge positive impact on this planet that we all call home.

Can anyone remember anything negative HB ever said about anyone? I can't, even when he was robbed by "friends"! It's that positive attitude that made him SO special!

To HB's family, I extend a sincerely felt thank you, for giving the world such a wonderful, loving, kind, understanding, humorous person, who brought so much joy, pleasure and tolerance to us all.

The world is a little dimmer for all of us with HB's absence, but the Heavens are so much brighter with the presence of his shining star!

I have never met HB and I didn’t either exchanged personal emails with him. However, this has been one of my favorites web sites since late 1999 and I really enjoyed his postings.

To all of his friends, to his lover, to his family and to all of the members of this community my sympathy for this very sad loss.

And specially to HooBoy: thank you for creating this wonderful site and making us wiser to choose our companies.

Daniel

Archived