Phone Sex No More - at least the free kind?

BgMstr4u
This topic is 2703 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For longer than I can remember I have been calling the free time-limited phone sex line for gay men called the Dungeon. On the 24th I called in (I know -- I should have been wrapping presents, but, hey...) and instead of the deep and somewhat menacing bass voice of yore, prompting one to enter the name of the guy from Finland, a disconcertingly cheery young female voice message answered. She told me that I had reached the Fantasy Line and that I could sign up and pay and Find My Fantasy in no time at all. Needless to say, for many of those years I could not possibly have actually paid for all those hours of down and dirtiness, thus the wonderful free line, even though it cut off after 15 minutes, then in the last few years, after 30.

I have enjoyed that line so much over the years. Some tedious types, of course, as I am sure I was tedious to some as well. But also some guys with whom I reconnected over and over for years. Imaginative, safe, wilder than I could ever have actually done. It was not a little like Lake Woebegone, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. Except of course we were all young, strong, goodlooking, muscular, and wild beyond all.

So goodbye to that safe-but-oh-so-smutty part of life.

will respect the fact that there is no EOY vote this year. There are solid reasons for that decision.

More importantly, we need to think about the longevity, possibly the survival even, of this very forum.

I do participate on the 'muscle service forum'. Over the last 2 days, all new posts, and everybody's private email box was deleted. Something is going on ...

From another post today. Thank you Baron.

Not to get paranoid (well, actually ... more paranoid), but the coincidence of these two things is interesting.

I was in college in the early/mid 80's when, I think, the new experiment of hookup phone services really started up. I remember an early one where you'd dial in and a buzz tone would sound until you were connected with another caller - and that was that. I can't remember if I actually met anyone that way, or just talked. But by the time I had graduated college, in 1986, there were all sorts of phone dating lines - lots of 550 local lines, and more expensive 976 lines. Oh, all the money I wasted on those, lol - because like the internet and social media is today, those lines were damn addictive. Most of the early systems were group lines, where guys all connected in to one "party line" area, and then you could talk privately with a guy if they were equally interested. Later, they developed lines where you could leave a short description of yourself, and then you'd get/send instant responses with guys who liked your "profile." (As I recall, one such line based out of Boston called "The Buddy System" led to the development of Manhunt.net.)

I do remember that peppered in with all the pay lines, there would be free lines, or sometimes (as mentioned above) lines that had free limited access, but often the free access was enough to get somewhere. When I finally got with it and got a computer in 2001, I called the phone lines less often. But I remember lots of experiences like the one BgMstr4u cited above, where lines would change ownership/purpose, or even disappear altogether. One free line I remember, right around the millennium change, went from being a general male hookup line to one that all of a sudden seemed to be marketed toward the black/latino male gay and "on the DL" community - it was odd to all of a sudden feel the shift in the calling population. And eventually that line disappeared too.

I think that in most if not all respects, the internet is much better than those phone lines could ever be. But I confess to having just a bit of nostalgia for those days when "hanging out on the phone" was the euphemism for trying to find a hookup lol.

I enjoy phone sex from time to time. mygay.net is a fairly recent site where I've found a number of guys into all sorts of kinky fantasies. It was opened after gay.com was bought and discontinued free chat (which has since been returned). When I'm in a I-want-it-right-now mood, I use niteflirt.com, which has a lot of guys under $2/minute, and some very good ones under $1/minute.

Archived