A little Rossini to lighten the mood.

body2body
This topic is 2732 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Given all the Sturm und Drang of the last twenty four hours, I thought this charming excerpt from L'Italiana in Algeri performed at the Orange Festival in France might be a brief but pleasant diversion from all the political angst. I must attend this festival someday where the performances are given in a beautiful Roman Amphitheater. The singers are the vivacious Marie-Nicole Lemieux, and the handsome Nicolas Courjal.

Given all the Sturm und Drang of the last twenty four hours, I thought this charming excerpt from L'Italiana in Algeri performed at the Orange Festival in France might be a brief but pleasant diversion from all the political angst. I must attend this festival someday where the performances are given in a beautiful Roman Amphitheater. The singers are the vivacious Marie-Nicole Lemieux, and the handsome Nicolas Courjal.

Great choice! LOL! The above is from the beginning of the finale to act one... here's the conclusion of the act! Probably the ne plus ultra of the infamous "Rossini crescendo"!

There is nothing like Rossini to cheer one up!

here's the conclusion of the act! Probably the ne plus ultra of the infamous "Rossini crescendo"!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-X8KDJQbes

Of all the "confusion finales" as I call them (those act-ending big ensembles where the characters all express their utter dismay at what is happening, etc - a mainstay of comic operas of this period, and even some more serious ones), this is certainly the zaniest, with the characters all comparing their state of mind to the intruding sounds of bells ("din din"), hammers ("tac tac"), cannons ("bum bum") and the call of a crow ("cra cra"). Hysterical, in every sense of the word!

Of all the "confusion finales" as I call them (those act-ending big ensembles where the characters all express their utter dismay at what is happening, etc - a mainstay of comic operas of this period, and even some more serious ones), this is certainly the zaniest, with the characters all comparing their state of mind to the intruding sounds of bells ("din din"), hammers ("tac tac"), cannons ("bum bum") and the call of a crow ("cra cra"). Hysterical, in every sense of the word!

Yes! The madcap sounds are hilarious! The following quote has been attributed to Rossini regarding L'Italiana in Algeri, "I believed that the Venetians would consider me mad after hearing my opera. Now it appears that they are even madder than I." I'm not if it's true (as it has also been said ro reference Tancredi the opera that preceded it which was a serious opera) but it certainly fits regarding the first act finale and especially with all that onomatopoeia!

Archived