I have a problem need a new 12 step program

Spida
This topic is 7063 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It all started so innocently, didn't even realize it was happening, one half hour a week about 12 years ago and now it has exploded into a real addiction, and I am at a low point!

It started with the Real World years ago, I have never missed a season, but that was only 1 hour at the start of the season 1/2 hour during, and say 2 hours at the end of the season. It became more appearent with Survivor, loved it, then the amazing race, all pretty good shows, then Big Brother not so hot but still not that bad. Well it got worse and this year and last year it has come to an all time low.

What do I mean, "The Surreal Life", "Trading Spouces", "The biggest looser". And the worse part is that I am not sure I want to stop! Is it so bad! I looked at my Tivo to do list and 80 percent of the shows are reality shows!

Well it gets even worse.. I am totally in love with Peter Brady! Yes Christopher Knight on the Surreal World he is hot! I think the Calvin Klein model is very hot great bod but I want to do bad things to Peter Brady..

Am I a bad person? Is there help out there? Has anyone else gone through this or am I alone in the world? What is a guy who is addicted to reality shows and has a woody for Peter Brady to do?

Any help is very much appreciated..

Spida.. I am spida and I am a reality show addict who is in love with Peter Brady...

Spida,

I too have succumbed to the temptations of reality TV. Much like you, I started with the Real World. However, I flew dangerously close to the sun. I applied to be on the Real World !!! I was between jobs and my friend gave me a Real World book for Christmas that had an application in the back. Unfortunately I was one year to old for the show and was rejected.

It was then that I dove in to the sea of reality shows. I would make plans around my viewing schedule, which has been a problem for me in the past wih other TV shows. Reality TV became a guilty pleasure for me and I was sure that it was one of the signs that I was definitely gay (kind of like when you like soap operas or ABBA ...your either gay or a woman:-) But then, I realized that many of my straight male friends also loved reality TV. They even commented on the male characters and the way they looked, although they never said shit that I wanted to say like, "Damn I just want to rub my dick on Eric Nies' abs !!!" I realized that it wasnt so much that I had a problem, but that the non-viewing world were the ones with the problem.

>I think the Calvin Klein model is very hot great bod but I want to do bad things to Peter Brady..Am I a bad person?<

Just because you want to do bad things, that does not make you a bad person. We all have fantasies that stem from childhood TV shows. I never understood why I wanted the Bionic Man to jerk me off at super speed. Stalking would be a wrong act, but it would make you a bad person. Covering your walls with pictures of Peter Brady would be neither wrong nor strange...he did get really built !!

>Is there help out there?<

Probably not and if there is, its probably one of those stupid total abstinence deals. And as we all know with obsession that "Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder !!!"

>Has anyone else gone through this or am I alone in the world?<

You are not alone...I am here with you...

My name is Jim and Im a reality freak

>What is a guy who is addicted to reality shows and has a woody for Peter Brady to do?<

In my life, I have found that the middle road has always been a wise choice, so this is what I prescribe.

Moderate amount of TV watching...for instance, there is 24 hours in the day, so take half of those to watch TV and the other half for other activities (reading TV Guide, posting on reality message boards)

As for your woody for Peter Brady, I recommend a moderate amount of masturbation.

Thank you noviceny, it is good to know I am not alone!

Peter Brady is on the current season of Surreal life! On the first episode he is shirtless and hot!

Moderate amounts of masterbastion, hmmm I think I am there and beyond! Hasn't helped yet but I am not a quitter I will continue!

Spida

RE: Bad Taste

I think the world would be a much better place if there was a 12 step program for people with bad taste. Why don't you start one? Perhaps one of the steps could consist of having each participant spend time looking at some of the truly great masterpieces of art and drama that exist and repeating over and over to himself something like: "I can't believe I wasted time watching that stupid shit on television when I could have been doing this!"

Think of it. You could be the "Bill W." of your generation.

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride on "Surreal Life". After watching Bigitte Nielson and Flava Flav swapping spit and getting randy last season,I have to take a pass on this year.

How much therapy will get this out of your memory?

Jeff

ETA to add that I couldn't make the horrible pic appear so you all can suffer with me. Misery loves company.

Spida;

At the risk of being a bit harsh.....this is a serious problem. A friend of mine has acurately re-categorized "reality TV" as "humiliation TV". These folks are just stupid enough to be willing to humiliate themselves for anyone who is stupid enough to watch.

We don't have any separation in this country between fame and infamy. If you are on TV you are famous, and that is supposed to be good? People still ask O.J. Simpson for his autograph! That is truly sick.

How bad must your life be if you need to spend your days and nights following the exploits of big losers with no sense of deceny or propriety? Does is it make you feel better that there are bigger losers out there than you. (Or are they bigger losers?)

Throw your Tivo away, and get out of the house and have a life. Meet real people and make real freinds. The "humiliation TV" people are not your friends.

To me is is just a sad statement on how far America has fallen. Isn't there any education any more. Isn't there any culture anymore? Would it kill people to pick up a book and read?

Just my opinion, but these shows make me laugh...perhaps I am doing some damage to my psyche, but I find them relatively harmless.

Ive read books and continue to read (mostly journals, but my field interests me). I have my education on a post graduate level and it none of it ever made me laugh the way this stupid shit does. My education and my work fill one area of my life...adds to my purpose in life and allows me to use my mind...sometimes I need a break.

I dont really take any of these criticisms too harshly cause its only TV and my balance in other areas is pretty good.

That being said, I just bought the Blockbuster membership that allows you to rent as many movies as you want (but no more than 3 at a time) and you get to bring them back whenever...I plan on renting the Real Worlds that Ive missed and the Paris Hilton/Nicole Richie reality show (caant remember the name) and just piss myself.

I don't exactly consider myself a learned fella but I do enjoy thems there books now and again! And who can go a day without the enquirer and or people magazine?

Not to harsh, I know many people have some very strong opinions about reality shows. I enjoy the shows for the entertainment value, I don't think I would ever be on a reality show, but hey you never know. I may be one of the people who spreads bad taste.

Step 1 Admit you have a problem.

Step 2 ??

Archived