Planning Thailand Travel?

KY_TOP
This topic is 7085 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well I am home from Bangkok, safe, worn out but a smile on my face.

I've received some e-mail from some planning trips to Thailand wanting to know if they should change those plans due to the catastrophe from the Earthquake. Here is my take on the current situation for tourist.

Bangkok and Pattaya are not affected from the Earthquake. All is as if nothing has occurred, other than the news and fundraising. If your plans are to go to these cities I would not alter those plans.

Bangkok hospitals have received the injured and has had an influx of survivors staying in Bangkok hotels until they can get home or as they await word on missing friends or families. My Hotel had several survivors there on the day I left. Many embassy in Bangkok, including the US Embassy, where trying to get their citizens home or located.

If your plans were for the South Western coastal areas of Thailand like Phuket, Ranong, Phang Hga and farther south, I would suggest other arrangements. Even though some resorts, like the Marriott Resort at Phuket received minor damage and where to reopen as soon as today, it is still a disaster area.

Now for those who have thought of going to Thailand you may want to keep your eyes upon Airfare and Hotel cost the next few weeks. Many, especially the Japanese, have canceled their reservations in Thailand including Bangkok. There was much talk in the newspaper about the tourist dropoff and that any dropoff will be another major hit for Thailand. Hotels were deciding if they would have to reduce their room rates soon to draw back tourist. Th JW Marriott (where I was staying) and Marriott Resort at Pattaya said they would be looking to see if they would have to reduce their rates in the next few weeks and might offer Hotel deals to their Marriott Reward members.

So come to Bangkok and Pattaya, they need your tourist money and you might just find a good deal.

RE: Taking a breath

Welcome home. I am one that will continue with my plans to travel in April to the land of smiles. My only alteration is one week in Pattaya instead of Phuket (reasons for not going 1. Disaster area and will take weeks/months to get essentials back to normal 2. the hotel I booked was virtually destroyed 3. cannot find any other rooms for the week I need in Patong area.) :+

Guest Tampa Yankee

All is well in KY

The Universe Strives for Symmetry... and as does the yin for the yang...

Good news KY_TOP, while the universe is still striving Kentucky is home free...

"Welcome to our newest member ky-bottom"

:7

Archived