Theatre Memories

actor61
This topic is 1921 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I an surprised at the few Sondheim musicals mentioned. By this time I have seen almost every one, mostly in revival. The only original cast Sondheim are as follows: "Gypsy," Merrily We Roll Along," "Sunday in The Park with George," and "Saturday Night."

It's amazing that one other person saw "I Can Get It For You Wholesale" and "Subways Are For Sleeping" too.

Edited by WilliamM

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I an surprised at the few Sondheim musicals mentioned. By this time I have seen almost every one, mostly in revival. The only original cast Sondheim are as follows: "Gypsy," Merrily We Roll Along," "Sunday in The Park with George," and "Saturday Night."

It's amazing that one other person saw "I Can Get It For You Wholesale" and "Subways Are For Sleeping" too.

Of the Sondheim canon I have seen:

Anyone Can Whistle*

Follies*

Company

A Little Night Music

Pacific Overtures

Sweeney Todd

Merrily We Roll Along*

Passion

Sunday in the Park with George

Into the Woods

The Frogs*

Assassins

The ones with an asterisk are ones I have only seen in revivals of very high quality ( The Merrily was at the La Jolla Playhouse directed by James LaPine, with score massaged by the composer). Pacific Overtures is one of my very fondest Theater memories. The score, the performances (especially Mako, and Soon-tek Oh), Boris Aronson's sublime decors, are all engraved in my memory.

Edited by body2body

Pacific Overtures is a special memory for me. I was sitting accross the aisle from Sondheim and Lauren Bacall when his hat fell behind him. I got up to return it to him and was given the ugliest "How dare you disturb me?" look from Bacall before she realized that I was only picking up his hat. Couldn't stand her ever after!

Pacific Overtures is a special memory for me. I was sitting accross the aisle from Sondheim and Lauren Bacall when his hat fell behind him. I got up to return it to him and was given the ugliest "How dare you disturb me?" look from Bacall before she realized that I was only picking up his hat. Couldn't stand her ever after!

Oh the stories I could tell about Betty Bacall!!!!!!

My one theatre memory was seeing Shelley Winters in The Effect of Gamma Rays back in the late 70's when I was a teen. My first visit to NY, and I was determined to meet her. I went backstage after the performance and made up some story about being mugged on my way to see the play. Not sure whether they believed it, but the stage manager took me up to her dressing room to meet her. Should was incredibly sweet, signed my program, and issued a motherly warning on being careful on the streets of the city.

I've played in the pit orchestra for two different stagings of Company, and Sweeny Todd once (community theatre productions).

The music for Todd is even more fun to play than it is listen to; there's a quite a lot there that doesn't meet the ear on first hearing. It was interesting to find out that Sondheim studied composition with Milton Babbitt.

The photographer who did my 1987 Honcho spread sang in a production of Pacific Overtures, so, of course, I had to go to see it. :)

I think Pacific Overtures was Sondheim's most underrated show. I loved it!

Me too. I found this video of the original 1976 Broadway Production. It is the complete show, and was recorded for broadcast on Japanese television. It is not HD, but it is better quality than most of the other ones on line. The opening number is simply breathtaking.

Edited by body2body

• 2 years later...