"A gargle a day keeps gonorrhoea away"

dlee02
This topic is 2847 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The article quoted above speaks of "a branded antiseptic mouthwash, bought from a supermarket". In the USA the term antiseptic mouthwash is usually synonymous with Listerine and its generic equivalents. While the bottle shown in the piece is not the typical Listerine packaging, Listerine is marketed in the UK and in fact worldwide. They even have an alcohol free version for Muslim countries.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/5C49/production/_90352632_thinkstockphotos-523674751.jpg

It will be interesting to see if Listerine is indeed the brand that was tested.

http://www.121wholesale.co.uk/shop/images/listerine%20c%20mint.jpg

If so, would they add "the Clap" to the labeling????

Thoughts?

Could mouthwash combat gonorrhoea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36765167

"All of the men had detectable levels of throat gonorrhoea at the start of the trial.

He asked half of them to gargle and swill for a minute with saltwater while he gave the others a branded antiseptic mouthwash, bought from a supermarket, to use instead.

He retested them five minutes later to see if the gargling had helped. It appeared to, reducing the detectable amount of bacteria significantly more than the saltwater rinse".

Not sure I read this right. Reducing means it's still there. The trial would have to cover more time and more subjects. One time vs say 3 days or something. However, it at least show's it to be effective and that alone has me running out to get some Listerine.

Back in my "whore days"....when I used to hang out in bath houses from time to time....I did my own "experiment"

I noticed I would always get a very bad sore throat 2-3 days after a visit to the baths, so I started using mouthwash religiously

in between each "encounter"....as soon as he was out of the room....swish and spit.....next....it worked like a charm.

I completely eradicated my "post bath house pharyngitis syndrome".

Not exactly "science"....but I'm telling you that it worked....really really well...over and over again.

Back in my "whore days"....when I used to hang out in bath houses from time to time....I did my own "experiment"

I noticed I would always get a very bad sore throat 2-3 days after a visit to the baths, so I started using mouthwash religiously

in between each "encounter"....as soon as he was out of the room....swish and spit.....next....it worked like a charm.

I completely eradicated my "post bath house pharyngitis syndrome".

Not exactly "science"....but I'm telling you that it worked....really really well...over and over again.

Hmm..this could be applied to the recent rimming post too. :)

Archived